Dec 2015 BOTM ~ Feat. Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Dec 2015 BOTM ~ Feat. Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is an inspirational autobiography of the incredible highs and crushing lows of Jorge (Jorgie as his father always called him) through an amazing life from newspaper delivery boy to real estate mogul. As for the book's title, a "burn zone" in cycling is essentially a period of extreme challenge, one in which everyone suffers, and where the most fit and skilled will come out on top. In the book, Jorge uses a burn zone as a rough period in life, where it would be easy to just step away or give up, but where it's most important for one to persevere and succeed, and the euphemism is perfect. For the sake of full disclosure, I'm going to admit I waited several days to actually review this, as I absolutely loved this book and couldn't find flaws with it through my fanboy eyes.

Jorge begins as a young child, and before he's even 10, he manages to get a job as a newspaper delivery boy. His drive for money (the high scoreboard of life) and love of a challenge leads him to deliver newspapers for a competing newspaper as well, and from here he builds upon himself until he is bidding millions of dollars at a time on real estate. The way he details this comes across as incredibly relatable despite his high status, as his search for his next challenge and his ordinary beginning allow anyone to see themselves making it there with the proper enthusiasm and determination.

The book really takes off when Jorge uses money he's earned to produce albums for punk bands. Not one for simply seeking out talent and trying to make money, he really embraces the punk movement, and his family even ends up housing the bands for local concerts from time to time. One particular situation involves what was essentially a police-instigated riot by the LAPD in full riot gear after one of the concerts, and from here on Jorge's spirit seems to change into one that backs the underdog and challenges authority. Especially when it comes to any sort of wealthy person, one never expects punk roots, and it was an awesome surprise!

As for the book itself, Jorge seamlessly transitions from one burn zone in his life to the next, all the while making the reader cheer for him and the amazing things he does. The book not only details Jorge's burn zones, it inspires us to blow through and annihilate our own in a way that doesn't come across egotistical or self-serving, despite being an autobiography. There are times he fails and is really pushed down, and he doesn't try to soften these blows or whine about them, he takes the time to share them and the lessons learned from them.

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands at first seemed like a neat book, and I was curious, but as I dove in, it became obvious this is an amazing book, one that absolutely took me by surprise. The book easily deserves 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who could use some inspiration in their life, or is a fan of the Disney-type inspirational sports movie, this is the book for you. The only flaw, after days of thinking, that I could come up with is that the real estate sections can get dry at times, and go way over my head as Jorge details methods of reinvestment and mortgaging, but as a whole the book is amazing, and I wish everyone could learn from his passion and determination.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! The book seems fascinating and honest - rags to riches to possibly rags again or close to it. I enjoy memoirs and this one looks like a winner. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

This does sound inspirational. I'm not a big sports fan but I am a sucker for those Disney-type sport movies :) Thanks for the great review!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

@CataclysmicKnight this review was amazing!! I love inspirational stories of overcoming, and I also love an underdog story with rough punk-style roots. I'll stop talking now, so I can add this to my list.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

I really enjoyed reading your review. You're very convincing! I think it's fantastic that it was so hard for you to come up with something to criticize about the book. So congrats to the author on a job well done.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

Thanks very much everyone! I couldn't agree more, reviewing something that's so enjoyable it's hard to find fault with is absolutely one of the best possible problems to have!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Burn Zones sounds like a truly inspirational book. An outstanding review from you, CataclysmicKnight. Well done and congrats to the author!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

I like reading autobiographies that are honest; this one seems to be just like that. Nice review, CataclysmicKnight (nice pen name, by the way :) ). It`s clear you liked the book; congratulations to the author.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
Toes
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Toes »

As an investor in a LOT of Geo's American Homeowner's Preservation Hedge Funds from the beginning...I can testify to Geo's honesty...Have we encountered some cheaters and bad deals along the way...sigh...BIG yes...I've read his book twice and this review prompts me to read again...btw...in my creeping alzheimer's I forget if Verria is in the book...but they got married...
Not sure what the number of books means by the other commenters ... but ... I have hundreds of books loaded onto my Kindle reader including Burn Zones...We elders need to make the print size really Large
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

Great review! I don't know if this book would be for me, but I could see how it would be appealing!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

Great review! I'm not really one for sports books or biographies, but your review is really well written and makes the book sound interesting enough to read.
FoxyReader1988
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19054">The Giver</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-foxyreader1988.html

Post by FoxyReader1988 »

CataclysmicKnight wrote:[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is an inspirational autobiography of the incredible highs and crushing lows of Jorge (Jorgie as his father always called him) through an amazing life from newspaper delivery boy to real estate mogul. As for the book's title, a "burn zone" in cycling is essentially a period of extreme challenge, one in which everyone suffers, and where the most fit and skilled will come out on top. In the book, Jorge uses a burn zone as a rough period in life, where it would be easy to just step away or give up, but where it's most important for one to persevere and succeed, and the euphemism is perfect. For the sake of full disclosure, I'm going to admit I waited several days to actually review this, as I absolutely loved this book and couldn't find flaws with it through my fanboy eyes.

Jorge begins as a young child, and before he's even 10, he manages to get a job as a newspaper delivery boy. His drive for money (the high scoreboard of life) and love of a challenge leads him to deliver newspapers for a competing newspaper as well, and from here he builds upon himself until he is bidding millions of dollars at a time on real estate. The way he details this comes across as incredibly relatable despite his high status, as his search for his next challenge and his ordinary beginning allow anyone to see themselves making it there with the proper enthusiasm and determination.

The book really takes off when Jorge uses money he's earned to produce albums for punk bands. Not one for simply seeking out talent and trying to make money, he really embraces the punk movement, and his family even ends up housing the bands for local concerts from time to time. One particular situation involves what was essentially a police-instigated riot by the LAPD in full riot gear after one of the concerts, and from here on Jorge's spirit seems to change into one that backs the underdog and challenges authority. Especially when it comes to any sort of wealthy person, one never expects punk roots, and it was an awesome surprise!

As for the book itself, Jorge seamlessly transitions from one burn zone in his life to the next, all the while making the reader cheer for him and the amazing things he does. The book not only details Jorge's burn zones, it inspires us to blow through and annihilate our own in a way that doesn't come across egotistical or self-serving, despite being an autobiography. There are times he fails and is really pushed down, and he doesn't try to soften these blows or whine about them, he takes the time to share them and the lessons learned from them.

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands at first seemed like a neat book, and I was curious, but as I dove in, it became obvious this is an amazing book, one that absolutely took me by surprise. The book easily deserves 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who could use some inspiration in their life, or is a fan of the Disney-type inspirational sports movie, this is the book for you. The only flaw, after days of thinking, that I could come up with is that the real estate sections can get dry at times, and go way over my head as Jorge details methods of reinvestment and mortgaging, but as a whole the book is amazing, and I wish everyone could learn from his passion and determination.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Awesome review. I personally do not read many books that are sports related. I will defiantly keep this book in mind the next time I need a book to re-inspire my passions in life.
Divya agarwal
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-agarwal.html

Post by Divya agarwal »

You have done a commendable job and as per the review, same can be said for the author as well. So congrats to both of you.
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Very entertaining and well written review. Great job!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
brandy29b
Currently Reading: Tom's River
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy29b.html
Latest Review: "The Daughters' Baggage" by Diane Winger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by brandy29b »

Congrats to both the author for getting such a stellar review and to the reviewer for writing an honest and thorough review!
Latest Review: "The Daughters' Baggage" by Diane Winger

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”