Review of Get Tough or Die

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Review of Get Tough or Die

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Get Tough or Die" by Barbara L. Sellers.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Get Tough or Die: Why I Forgave My Parents for My Abusive Childhood is a nonfiction book by Barbara L. Sellers. Barbara and her eleven siblings were raised in a dysfunctional home where spouse and child abuse were the norms. This had both negative and positive impacts. This narrative is substantially based on Barbara's experiences, although some of the ordeals of her siblings are included.

Barbara's parents were named Francis and Madeline. Madeline ended up married to Francis after a dating game backfired. Francis had an easy childhood, which left him with no avenue for an abusive nature to creep in. However, his abusive nature was a result of the death of his mother, Daryl, because of his negligence. The book gave the history of Francis and Madeline and what led up to their situation. Barbara and her siblings suffered gruesome physical and emotional abuse, primarily from their father. In the case of Madeline, it sometimes occurred because she couldn't stand up to him to protect them. Some of the abuses included excessive workloads unfit for children, unfair beatings, and punishments, among others. The only choice Barbara and her siblings had was to get tough.

This book presents a thorough first-hand account of what it was like to pass through a very abusive childhood. Francis prioritized his farmwork above his family. He denied them the right to medical care when they got sick. It was only by a miracle that they survived the diseases that befell them. An important message is contained in this book for all victims of abuse. In the face of abuse, someone has to be courageous enough to stand up and end the abuse in any way possible. Barbara forgave her parents only after she grasped the concept of forgiveness, which led to her healing process. 

I appreciated the background story about Barbara's parents. This allowed readers to know the root cause of the abuse. I thought highly of the pictures of the author's family and other events. This made me see what they looked like and also made me able to visualize what they had passed through. Some pictures were of their achievements, and I was relieved that they didn't let the abuse they passed through hinder them from reaching their potential. The pictures of Francis didn't show that he had an abusive nature. This adequately depicts that judging someone simply by their looks isn't advisable.

The author's talk with a doctor interwoven into this book about bed wetting is highly educational. It exposed what causes children to wet their beds. It was heartwarming to read about the actions of Barbara and her siblings when one of them, named Mark, needed money and help with his house chores to be able to venture into the sports he was interested in. Their unity appealed to me. I wouldn't fail to mention the author's poem incorporated into the book, "Writing with Passion." It narrated the ordeal she passed through that motivated her to write. I was inspired by it, as it spoke to my heart. 

I'll rate this book five out of five stars because I didn't note any negatives and because her story will inspire readers to do whatever it takes to help prevent spouse and child abuse. I saw an error, which shows the book was professionally edited. I recommend it to readers who are suffering from abuse of any sort or who have a history of abuse. This book will enlighten them on how difficult times can take a positive turn. It will also show them how to let go of the past and attain happiness.

Get Tough or Die
View: on Bookshelves
Watson Munene
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Watson Munene »

In my view,the book is very informative as it shows what is like experiencing abuse from our closest people.Another important thing to note from the book is that abusive people need support since their own past painful experience could have triggered abusive nature in them unconsciouslly. Definitely I think the book could be of great help to all who have faced abuse especially inside the family circle.
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Reawakening the magic volume 1 by Claire De Voyant

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

It looks like there's A LOT in this book. It's really sad what herself and her siblings had to go through.
ojukwu2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ojukwu2.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by ojukwu2 »

It's always interesting to come across such wonderful review. I would love to commend the author for this master piece. Kodus
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”