Review of Globalization or Democracy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Review of Globalization or Democracy

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Globalization or Democracy" by Clancy Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Globalization or Democracy by Clancy Hughes is a piece of work in which the few positive and many negative aspects and consequences of democracy and globalization towards the US are presented by the author. It is a book that shows what the people of the US were expecting from globalization and what it truly meant. It shows how globalization eventually led to capital divergence, where the top 1% of the population lived in wealth (multinational corporation executives, politicians, bankers, etc.), while the rest of the population was exploited and deprived of the full picture and real information. The book also shows how China expended its tentacles, power, profit, success, and influence on the backs of the middle-class citizens of the US while the country was and is too busy with its internal battles and greed.

One of the aspects that I liked about the book is how thorough and well organized the information is. Some aspects discussed in the book may not be as easy to fully grasp at first as it was for me, like chapter 13, but the author managed to provide the information in the simplest manner that he could. Another aspect that I liked is how, although for me it looked like there were not many positive aspects to globalization for the entire population of the US, as I read the book I paid more attention and got more curious whenever the positive aspects were presented, like the benefits to the health care system, and tried to conclude or form my own opinion on the effects of globalization and answer the question: Was it worth it?

I can’t say that I found any negative aspects about the book, but I believe that the perfect reader for this book would be someone with a greater interest in, understanding of, and passion for the economy, politics, etc., of a country. Every time a page with formulas and charts appeared, like the ones on page 93, the chart of my enjoyment went down.

While reading, I noticed that Globalization or Democracy by Clancy Hughes is exceptionally well edited. I give the book 4 out of 5 stars. I give this rating not because I found anything wrong with the book, but because it hardly kept my full interest and enjoyment of reading until the end.

I recommend the book to anyone interested in the effects of globalization on the US. I also recommend this book for those who enjoy reading about the politics, economy, and trading of another country, such as the US.

Globalization or Democracy
View: on Bookshelves
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Reawakening the magic volume 1 by Claire De Voyant

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

From your summary I can see that it discusses the effect of globalization on economics and I would love to have that information. Thanks for this.
NutellaBanana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nutellabanana.html
Latest Review: Taken by Twilight by Tricia Barr

Post by NutellaBanana »

This is an interesting and well thought of book. This is also an interesting and well-written review. This is also a book that I would definitely love to try out. Thank you for this wonderful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”