Review of The Life of the Author: Nathaniel Hawthorne

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Master Your Mind and Energy to Heal Your Body by Brandy Gillmore

Review of The Life of the Author: Nathaniel Hawthorne

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Life of the Author: Nathaniel Hawthorne" by Dale Salwak.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

First and foremost, I must state that the author is a fan of Nathaniel Hawthorne, which is evident throughout the book as the author not only sought Nathaniel's history but also sought to understand him on a personal level by visiting his former homes and other sites where Nathaniel frequently visited. By elaborating on the connections between Nathaniel's works and his life, as well as the inspirations behind each of them, Dale also lays out the background and circumstances that led to each of his works. In this book, Dale also discusses some of Nathaniel's work. He provides insights into what the tales might have symbolized in Nathaniel's life, such as The Gentle Boy, which Dale believes was caused by an incident in which Nathaniel suffered a foot injury that confined him to crutches.

The book's level of detail impressed me. Dale Salwak masterfully described Nathaniel's upbringing, childhood, father's death, and the impact it had on his family. He also discussed Nathaniel's education and how he preferred to be an observer rather than a participant in school, his traits, and his passion for writing his books. The author also expertly described Nathaniel and Melville Herman's lovely friendship. I could tell Melville was Nathaniel's true friend because he got along so well with him, and they shared similar interests. I also found it a plus that the author provided references for readers to check out if they needed more information on the work he covered in the book.

I found no flaws in this book. The author left no details out, and I appreciated that he also highlighted Sophia's influences on Nathaniel's creative output and portrayed her as a talented artist who was enthusiastic about her line of work and content with how their lives had turned out overall.

I rate this book five out of five stars. There were no grammatical errors in the book, which is an indication of its exceptional editing. I also liked the images that the author included in this book because they made it more lively and easier to connect with.

I recommend The Life of the Author: Nathaniel Hawthorne by Dale Salwak to readers who enjoy historical nonfiction. The book is brief and simple, making it ideal for a quick read. The book also serves as an inspiration for readers who haven't read any of Nathaniel Hawthorne's works because Dale Salwak makes them interested in reading his works.

The Life of the Author: Nathaniel Hawthorne
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

He provides insights into what the tales might have symbolized in Nathaniel's life, such as The Gentle Boy . . .
Understanding something about an author's life can enhance one's understanding of his work. This sounds like a good read for American literature buffs.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”