Review of The Pedagogy of Action

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review of The Pedagogy of Action

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pedagogy of Action" by Nesha Z Haniff.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Note: This is a review of a book about an HIV prevention module. Since HIV can be sexually transmitted, this review has sexual content.

Back in 2008 I attended a mandatory workshop on HIV. The facilitator presented kits for employees travelling on mission. They contained HIV prophylactics and condoms - apparently you were supposed to ask a man raping you to use a condom, which didn't seem realistic. If I recall correctly, they also contained the horror that is Femidoms! Aside from that, the facilitator mentioned that we might all be at greater risk from HIV than we thought because partners can be unfaithful.

These themes feature in The Pedagogy of Action by Nesha Z. Haniff, who is a professor in the Department of Afroamerican and African Studies at the University of Michigan. Her Pedagogy of Action (POA) is an HIV prevention module aimed at communities that are particularly vulnerable to infection. Notably, Haniff expands on standard advice about fidelity and condoms. For example, participants consider not only sexual fidelity to a partner but also fidelity to themselves and their goals. Crucially, they are trained to teach the module to others so that it can reach their communities.

In a refreshing personal approach, Haniff explains the genesis of this module that passes into the ownership of its recipients. She first came across Marxism while growing up in the highly politicized Guyana of the 1950s and 1960s. She was also influenced by Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed. When Haniff discovered the work of feminists like bell hooks, she was able to complement her understanding of social justice with race and gender perspectives. This theory underpinned the praxis of the POA because of the correlation between HIV infection risks and race, gender and sexuality.

So far from leaving the theory in an ivory tower, Haniff translated it into something not only practical but also life-changing, hopefully life-saving. For an important aspect of the POA, which ran for 15 years starting in 2000, was its study abroad component. The destinations notably included South Africa, where HIV infection rates were rising at that time, especially among young women. Haniff always kept race, human rights and the elimination of injustice in focus. In her words: "Africa must not be exoticized as a place to be rescued." (p.43) In that connection, all students had to teach the module in the USA first, which introduced them to disadvantaged communities closer to home. Their study abroad went beyond teaching the module. For example, they met key anti-apartheid players in South Africa.

This book was thoroughly educational, providing so many fascinating perspectives, not least through the accounts of Haniff's students. The diversity of their experiences and insights was astounding. They were clearly impressed by both Haniff's intellectual rigour and her ability to relate to everyone on a human level. Their stories revealed tremendous growth opportunities.

In that regard, this book was truly inspiring. It helped me to question any drive to be a saviour and to replace that with respect for others that centres their concerns and capabilities. I was motivated to find ways to put the lessons I absorbed into practice. Given the rich theoretical background of the POA, I was delighted to be able to expand my to-read list. Since this is a scholarly work, all the sources cited are duly referenced. It is not at all dry and abstract, though: storytelling is centred, which adds colour.

I would love to give this multifaceted and inspiring work a perfect rating. It had no significant shortcomings. Unfortunately, however, I am required to deduct a star from the rating because I found more than ten errors. There was nothing severe or distracting, but a round of proofreading is needed to clean up some typos and inconsistencies. Therefore, I rate this book four out of five stars.

I recommend it to those interested in reading non-fiction about social justice, race and intersectional feminism. It contains information about HIV, of course, but it is about so much more, including the current realities of South Africa and other countries. Perhaps the knowledge it imparts will filter through to the workshop facilitators in my organization so that they can improve on their advice about condoms.

The Pedagogy of Action
View: on Bookshelves
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Your review got me interested in knowing what's going on today with HIV. I was a young, single woman in the early 70s when HIV became a big concern. In my circles and lifestyle, I paid little attention and didn't consider it a personal danger.
When Haniff discovered the work of feminists like bell hooks, she was able to complement her understanding of social justice with race and gender perspectives. This theory underpinned the praxis of the POA because of the correlation between HIV infection risks and race, gender and sexuality.
This part interests me for two reasons. One, I am involved in the area of human rights and know that education is a universal right that many in the world don't have. I applaud Haniff's approach because it is not possible to address suppression without having a full understanding of what is happening, backed up by personal motivation and dedication to change. And two, a quick internet search on HIV just now shows plenty about developing vaccines, medication and treatments. As in other social problems like drug addiction, getting ahead of a problem like HIV requires prevention through education.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Patty Allread wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 15:58 Your review got me interested in knowing what's going on today with HIV. I was a young, single woman in the early 70s when HIV became a big concern. In my circles and lifestyle, I paid little attention and didn't consider it a personal danger.
When Haniff discovered the work of feminists like bell hooks, she was able to complement her understanding of social justice with race and gender perspectives. This theory underpinned the praxis of the POA because of the correlation between HIV infection risks and race, gender and sexuality.
This part interests me for two reasons. One, I am involved in the area of human rights and know that education is a universal right that many in the world don't have. I applaud Haniff's approach because it is not possible to address suppression without having a full understanding of what is happening, backed up by personal motivation and dedication to change. And two, a quick internet search on HIV just now shows plenty about developing vaccines, medication and treatments. As in other social problems like drug addiction, getting ahead of a problem like HIV requires prevention through education.
Yes, I remember the initial misleading information about HIV from when I was a teenager in the 1980s.

I believe Haniff and her students made a real difference because she addressed the human rights and education aspects. HIV infection rates and access to treatment have improved now (including in South Africa where a lot of POA work was done), but inequalities persist that are ultimately connected with race and gender. We saw that more recently with the disproportionate ways COVID affected different population groups.

Thank you for your detailed comment!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”