Official Review: Grace Poured Out by Valerie M. Herndon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinetimes10.html
Latest Review: Joletta’s Dreams by Karen Craker Forester

Official Review: Grace Poured Out by Valerie M. Herndon

Post by NadineTimes10 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Grace Poured Out" by Valerie M. Herndon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Grace Poured Out, author Valerie M. Herndon gives an honest, emotional, and redemptive account of very personal grief and a trial of faith. Herndon can scarcely imagine what’s ahead when she finds out her youngest child, fourteen-year-old Katie, is sick. However, it eventually comes to light that this isn’t only a matter of passing sickness but of life and death. Herndon then has to face what it means to trust and have faith in God when her prayers may not lead to the outcome she’s hoped they would.

Herndon transparently describes the state of her family before Katie’s sickness. With three children and busy schedules, Herndon and her husband, Wes, have practically been living separate lives. Katie’s condition forces the family’s dynamics to shift, and the shift is most powerfully uncovered in the book’s distinctive, thought-provoking ending.

Still, all along the way to that ending, the narrative is enhanced with select excerpts in Katie’s own words, entries from her journal. No matter how strange it may seem to them, Herndon, Katie, and their family begin to recognize the good that comes out of this situation—not only for them but for their friends and supporters, and even for the nurses at the hospital where Katie stays. Throughout the book, the author continually refers to the theme of God’s grace, how she sees it through the love and consideration of the people around her.

In the first section called A Transforming Touch, there’s a collection of reflections from other people in Herndon’s life. However, I was initially thrown off by the Foreword that comes later. There’s no name given with it to identify who is speaking, though I soon identified the speaker there as Herndon herself. Because forewords are typically written by someone other than the author, it might have been more appropriate to call Herndon’s opening remarks the Preface.

The dragonfly is a fitting symbolic choice for the book’s cover, on account of what dragonflies mean to the author and why. However, as dragonflies aren’t mentioned until more than halfway through the book, I would’ve liked to see something about them earlier on and more than once. Giving the reader more “time” with an important symbol by referring to it in more than one place makes it easier to sense and remember its significance. This also takes into account the people who may only access the book in Braille or in audio form one day and may never physically see the symbolism in the book’s cover art.

Also, though I appreciated the inclusion of Katie’s artwork and other photos in the book, the images were quite small and hard to see well. (Note: for the digital format I read, my e-reading device can enlarge a book’s text but not its images.) Naturally, I couldn’t tell if it was an overall formatting issue or if it wouldn’t be an issue at all for readers with different digital file types, other devices, or a print version of the book.

Nevertheless, those minor issues do not at all detract from the author’s honesty and clarity in tackling a key question of faith and trust. Therefore, I give Grace Poured Out a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I’d most strongly recommend it to anyone in search of a true story that deals with grief and healing from a Christian perspective.

Grace Poured Out
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | Hassle-Free Sample

Like NadineTimes10's review? Post a comment saying so!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Great review! Sounds like an amazing family. :-)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! It sounds like a heartfelt book. Personally I find it difficult to read about children who are gravely ill.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
NadineTimes10
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3844">John Nielson Had a Daughter</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Sounds like an amazing family. :-)
A mirror of my sentiments by the time I made it to the end of the book. :)

-- Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:03 pm --
bookowlie wrote:Nice review! It sounds like a heartfelt book. Personally I find it difficult to read about children who are gravely ill.
I understand! Due to a grave case of illness in my own neck of the woods, I wouldn't have been able to read this book a few months ago.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

On a positive note, the review is very thorough. I like how you pointed out all the little nuances that make the book interesting.
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

bookowlie wrote:On a positive note, the review is very thorough. I like how you pointed out all the little nuances that make the book interesting.
Thanks! Though the book is classified elsewhere as self-help, and I'm not much of a self-help reader, it has more of the quality of a memoir, so I stayed engaged.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

It does sound like more of a memoir, based on your review.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

bookowlie wrote:It does sound like more of a memoir, based on your review.
You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I was thinking the same thing!! :o
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Nice review, NadineTimes. Honest review on an honest book.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

chytach18- wrote:Nice review, NadineTimes. Honest review on an honest book.
Thanks! I always hope I'm doing a book justice with my reflections. :)
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

It sounds like a very heartwarming book. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Rachaelamb1 wrote:It sounds like a very heartwarming book. Thanks for the review!
Thank YOU for reading!
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

Nice review! A hard book to read, I'm sure. We have a similar story in my extended family. They relied so strong on their faith all throughout their daughter's illness. They've now started a foundation to raise money to help other families in our state who find themselves in the situation of having a seriously ill child and have helped several families now.
Thanks for bringing this book to light. Great job, Nadine!
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
NadineTimes10
Currently Reading:

Post by NadineTimes10 »

Ramona wrote:Nice review! A hard book to read, I'm sure. We have a similar story in my extended family. They relied so strong on their faith all throughout their daughter's illness. They've now started a foundation to raise money to help other families in our state who find themselves in the situation of having a seriously ill child and have helped several families now.
Thanks for bringing this book to light. Great job, Nadine!
Thank you, Ramona! I suppose I came across this book at the right time, as it would've been too hard for me to read a few months earlier. Nice to hear about your family's foundation. :)
anonanemone
Favorite Author: So many...
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 24">Tinder Stricken</a>
Currently Reading: Outland Exile
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonanemone.html
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by anonanemone »

Thank you for this review Nadine! I am impressed that the author was able to open herself up in this way and share how her family was still able to experience and recognize God's grace throughout this process. Thank you for sharing your story, Valerie!
The world lives between those who say it cannot be done and those who say that it can. And in my experience, those who say that it can be done are usually telling the truth. --Lord Vetinari (Discworld, Raising Steam)
Latest Review: "The Shark in the Park" by Mark Watson

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”