Review of Unlost

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Unlost

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unlost" by Cory Mortensen.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Unlost: Roaming Through South America on a Spontaneous Journey by Cory Mortensen is a book that follows the author's adventures after quitting his job and embarking on a journey that takes him through various countries in Central and South America. What makes this book unique is the author's ability to combine his experiences of backpacking, sailing, flying, and riding to his destinations into one thrilling adventure that keeps the reader engaged from beginning to end.

The book starts with Cory second-guessing his decision to retire and even contemplating calling his former boss, Mike. Despite these doubts, he sets out on his bike from Minneapolis and stops at his uncle Charlie's and aunt Diane's place in Long Beach before setting off on his adventure. The book takes the reader through his journey from the Mexican border, where he deals with immigration issues, to Puerto Penãsco, where he spends the night despite a surprise encounter with beach-patrol policemen. From there, he hitches a 40-hour bus ride to Mexico DF, where he connects with other backpackers before his adventure takes him to Bethel, Guatemala, Antigua, and Costa Rica, among other places. Dive in for more about his adventures.

As someone who enjoys adventure books, I found Unlost to be one of the most intense and exhilarating travel memoirs I have read. Cory's experiences gave me an understanding of what various destinations feel like, and I found myself wanting to avoid certain places like Pico Bolivar because of its harsh conditions. Nevertheless, I was still drawn to the thrill of it and found myself wanting to attempt a hike there. There is so much more to discover in this book about the places that the author visited, making it an excellent guidebook for anyone planning a similar adventure.

One of the things that I enjoyed about this book is the author's light and comical tone, which made it feel like he was sitting there with me, recounting his experiences. Although there were times when he went off on tangents and became irrelevant to the story, I found that these detours were at times amazing to have and added to the overall enjoyment of the book. There were a few instances where they were slightly annoying, but they did not detract significantly from the story.

Overall, I give this book a well-deserved rating of 5 out of 5 stars. It is an enjoyable and captivating read that is devoid of any negative aspects. Anyone who loves adventure or travel books will undoubtedly enjoy this book, and I highly recommend this book to such an audience. The author's experiences will undoubtedly inspire many people to embark on their own adventures, and this book can serve as an excellent guide for those who are looking to follow in his footsteps.

Unlost
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Ajibola Gabriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajibola-gabriel.html
Latest Review: The Vitality System by Kyle Gonzalez

Post by Ajibola Gabriel »

I love adventure, especially one about people traveling around the world. This looks like the author has done a lot of traveling and through different means.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

People who travel inspire me so much. I'd like to read this book. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”