Review of Sober and Pissed Off

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nemanja Jankovic
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 545
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Review of Sober and Pissed Off

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sober and Pissed Off" by Jane Zarse.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The title of Jane Zarse's book, Sober and Pissed Off, gives away the subject. However, if you thought it was just another former alcoholic's confession or a twelve-step program book, you would be mistaken. Specifically, the author was born into a wealthy family and grew up in a world of privileges. However, everything will change in the blink of an eye when the author begins to seek relief for her mental and emotional torment in alcohol.

Optional social drinking will quickly turn into trouble drinking, which will then give way to what the author refers to as merry-go-round drinking. When Jane Zarse realized that alcohol had taken over her life, she decided to fight back and take control of her life. In a relatively short book, the author will speak honestly and openly about all the challenges she faced on the road that led her through the hell of alcoholism and to sobriety and salvation.

What I liked best about the book was the author's sincerity and willingness to share numerous details about her often vicious life with the readers. I also appreciated the author's capacity for self-awareness because I believe it is the starting point from which the process of progress can begin. As a result, the author correctly concluded that denial is merely a protective mechanism and that alcohol served as a kind of liquid armor for her. I liked how the author honestly and correctly identified herself as an emotional empath, or someone who easily absorbs the emotions of those around her. Furthermore, I appreciated how the author said a lot with few precise words. As a result, she concluded that alcoholics are childish, sensitive, and grandiose. In the book, the author also suggests that we practice and cultivate love, acceptance, forgiveness, and gratitude. The book is well-organized and professionally edited.

There is nothing I didn't like about the book. Given the author's extraordinary openness and honesty, I expected the book to include some photos from the author's life, which it did not. The slightly more frequent use of profanity may irritate some readers, but I saw it as yet another example of the author's uncompromising honesty.

The author's exceptional honesty and transparency, the authentic experience of fighting the evil of alcoholism and everything that it entails, and the eternally optimistic approach deserve the highest rating, so I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend the book to readers who either have alcohol problems themselves or know someone who does. I also recommend the book to people who struggle with motivation and want to learn how to overcome life's obstacles. I do not recommend the book to readers who find profanity offensive due to the frequent use of it. I recommend the book to believers because of the frequent references to God as the source of faith and love, but I do not recommend it to atheists for the same reason.

Sober and Pissed Off
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

It is glaring that alcohol binge cannot solve the problem of sober and pissed off state of depression but rather cause self harm. Thank you for the detailed review.
Nemanja Jankovic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 545
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

Oluchi23 wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 08:57 It is glaring that alcohol binge cannot solve the problem of sober and pissed off state of depression but rather cause self harm. Thank you for the detailed review.
I agree with your conclusion. Alcoholism seems to me to be the path of cowards who are unable to face reality. Thanks for stopping by.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I absolutely love the title of this book. It implies an authentic read, and it sounds like the author did not disappoint. Thank you for your engaging review and recommendation, and kudos to the author for her honest account.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”