Review of Getting Real with God

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Review of Getting Real with God

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Getting Real with God" by Annamarie Altomare.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Getting Real with God: How to Find Peace with a Painful Past is a book in the non-fiction genre by Annamarie Altomare. This book is a timely piece that would benefit faith-based women struggling with bitterness and unforgiveness. 

Annamarie had a rough childhood, ranging from domestic abuse to sexual harassment; she still encountered sexual harassment in the Army. All these led her to have a hardened heart devoid of emotions. She started healing after a counseling session and surrendering her life to Christ. She narrated her story to inspire readers and open their eyes to how to rise above the crisis they faced from having a depressing past. The consequences of such pasts include an identity crisis—not knowing who we are or our purpose in life. She expounded on the need to know who the enemy is and how we can resist him. She could let go of her past because she had come to know and form a close relationship with God. He lifted her burdens and gave her peace and joy. God is willing to accept anyone who comes to Him with a contrite heart.

The author gave an example of what transpired in her life. She was a single mom barely surviving with her daughter, making tithing very difficult. God kept nudging her to pay her tithes, but she always had excuses to render. Unknown to her, God was testing her obedience to him. After some time, she heeded the voice of the Lord and paid her tithe. And to her amazement, God awarded her in a way she never imagined. This is a lesson for us to always listen to God's voice. He knows what's best for us.

Hiding emotional scars from past experiences will rob us of joy, making the devil deceive us into thinking that we're alone, but not to worry; Christ is always with us. He'll only be able to heal us when we let Him into our lives. Because of traumatic experiences, we might be forced to repay rudeness with rudeness and vulgarity with vulgarity, but this isn't a good road to travel, as it will only lead to more bitterness. All in all, the path we have to tread is the path of getting real with God. This is making peace with our hurtful past so we can be free of pain and self-hatred and have the spirit of forgiveness. Harboring those memories will give the devil an avenue to creep in and wreak havoc. This is why she let readers know that to rise above everything weighing them down, they'll need to trust God. Forgiving those that wronged us isn't easy, but it is vital because this will afford us the ability to finally let go of the past.

The author's story about her life is inspiring and thought-provoking. It prompts you to look into your life to discover where you've made that decision that has haunted you to date. It will teach you how to let go of those memories and find peace. I relished all the contents of the book, as it touched my heart. I love how the author wrote down her thoughts genuinely and comprehensibly. This is one of the most inspiring books I've read so far. I took note of only two errors, and as such, the book was professionally edited. I have no reason to deny it an excellent rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

Have you been sexually assaulted or harassed? Have you experienced bullying? Have you had an abortion and felt filthy and unworthy afterward? Do you have an identity crisis, not knowing who you are or your purpose in life? I recommend this book to you.

Getting Real with God
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

This book will serve as an encouragement to Christians and pull nonchristian to God. Great review.
Victor Ayub Migos
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-ayub-migos.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Victor Ayub Migos »

It's encouraging that someone can go through all this and still find peace. She is a strong woman, this book is definitely a must read.
annamariealtomare
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by annamariealtomare »

I am so humbled, and grateful for your review. Thank you for your time, meticulousness and comments. I'd like to add your review to amazon if that is ok with you. In Christ, Annamarie
Tadi02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadi02.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Tadi02 »

I've been struggling with my faith lately and peace seems to be just a 5-letter word sometimes. Maybe this book can help me find my way back to God.
Bikesh9dahal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bikesh9dahal »

Nothing is impossible and at last all you need is peace.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”