Review of Ditch Your Career Plan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Review of Ditch Your Career Plan

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ditch Your Career Plan" by Barbara Fulmer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ditch your Career Plan by Barbara Fulmer is a wonderful book that talks about how our life is much more than the career we have planned out for ourselves. She differentiates a career plan from a career path, encouraging her readers to explore different career paths, be versatile, take chances, and seize opportunities. She also talks about the importance of finding your own career path. In this book, Barbara Fulmer narrates a few life events that helped her reach her right career path.

In this book, she introduces and breaks down six career archetypes that helped her navigate through her career and attain fulfillment into different chapters, backing it up with funny and eye-opening stories that will leave you with a lesson or two to learn. Barbara talks about her journey through so many diverse careers and how no one was a waste, as doing this encourages diversity and exploration in careers. She talks about plans, the essentiality of having or not having one, and so many other intriguing things to help you achieve fulfillment in your career.

I loved a few things about Ditch your Career Plan. I loved the essence of the book. Over the years, people have been stuck in stringent career plans, which has led to them hating their jobs which can lead to depression. Barbara Fulmer tackles this in her book exhaustively. I also loved how for every piece of advice and solution she gave to those in this situation, she could relate it to her life experiences which says a lot about her understanding of what it means to be stuck in a job you no longer enjoy. Most of all, I loved how she entertained us with short stories about her life, which added more color to the book. Who doesn’t like a good story, after all? The book is really insightful and is a nice read.

As much as I loved a few things in the book, I also disliked some things too. I did not particularly like the fact that she did not tell stories of other people (excluding the few celebrities she made references to) and how ditching their career plans worked out for them. I believe the book would have been more realistic and practical if there were stories and testimonies of infamous people who ditched their career plans and still found fulfillment financially and generally. This makes the book lack reliability.

I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars which is because I think the book lacked realism and practicalities. In as much as ditching your career plan and finding fulfillment elsewhere sounds good, is it really something that can be achieved through a theoretical guide? I don’t believe so. Regardless of this, I still believe it was an interesting and nice book, so I could not give it a lower rating.

I would recommend this book to those going through a hard time in their jobs due to stringent and impossible career plans, seeking spontaneity in their career. I also recommend it to those who think they are lost because they have no plan for their careers and lives in general.

Ditch Your Career Plan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I would love to read through this book to get more insight basically on career plan. I found this review helpful.
Shedrack A
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shedrack-a.html
Latest Review: The Kurrus Khronicles by J. S. Lowman

Post by Shedrack A »

In this present world where the most where everyone is trying to make a living and survive, it's quite difficult to do as the author advises in the book.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

The world is changing and requires people to be flexible. If you are not comfortable ditching your current career, explore other related/complementary roles to branch into. Careers are becoming redundant.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”