Review of Matchsticks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Matchsticks

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Matchsticks" by Fred Engh and Jann Seal.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Matchsticks by Fred Engh is his memoir, where he shares the story of his life at Maryland State College, his friendship with Bob, and golf. The story opens with nostalgia as the author visits his alma mater, now the University of Maryland, Eastern Shore. He takes in the sights and compares the surroundings, past and present, in relation to golf.

The story progresses as turning points in his life are shared. One of them was enrolling as a white man into an all-Black college. It was clear that the author's motive was simple: get an education. How did he navigate the prejudices thrown in his face to see life through a black man's perspective while living in a racist community?

I'd start by appreciating Fred for his humility and openness to collaborate. The beauty of this work was in his ability to work with great and experienced writers like Jann Seal and Rudy Shur. Jann Seal was the brain behind this book's humor and relaxed tone.

The author told this story from the standpoint of his love for golf. Golf was an essential part of the narrative, as it was the sport that brought folks around him together, despite their skin color. I found it inspiring because the author was a white guy in an all-Black school. He spared no expense in sharing how the sport broke the racial barriers for him. I did enjoy the passion with which the author shared his "golfscapades" — a coinage of "golf" and "escapades."

The book highlights how much racism is ingrained in people, from children to adults. It makes this fact clear: by not recognizing segregation and other racist acts for what they are, we are also in the wrong.

One thing I dislike about this book is the author's take on "color blindness." He encourages the idea of not seeing color, and I can't entirely agree with that. Color will always be a part of us, whether white or black. Choosing not to see color is equivalent to living in denial. We can break down the walls of racist thoughts and actions by humanely treating everyone equally and leveling the ground for all, irrespective of color. Color blindness, in the author's context, is not a solution.

Although I applaud the author's passion for golf and how the story is built around it, it can also hurt the book's readership. Only some people play golf or enjoy watching or reading about it. This factor can make this book unsuitable for people who dislike golf. The main objective of writing this memoir will be defeated in the process.

Matchsticks by Fred Engh is a touching read about friendship, loss, and golf, and I recommend this book to lovers of sports-related memoirs. This book is professionally edited, and I rate it 4 out of 5 stars. One point is deducted for the issues mentioned in the sixth and seventh paragraphs.

Matchsticks
View: on Bookshelves
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

While I'm not a golf fan and wouldn't read a story based on the game, I can see how a shared love of golf or any other sport can bring people together. I'm curious, why is the book entitled, "Matchsticks?" Is that some kind of golf terminology?
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like memoirs, however, sports-related ones didn't interest me. But I wonder how his peers treated him while he was surrounded by the Black community.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Made a great point with the color blindness part. Totally agree with you. Excellent review!
Kemzy5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Kemzy5 »

I'm curious to know how he was accommodated in the midst of black people. Wonderful review, well done.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I am curious about his experience at the university and the sort of discrimination he faced. Also, I completely agree with your opinion on colour blindness; turning your face away doesn't solve the problem, but accepting others with their differences is. You did an outstanding analysis. Great job!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”