Official Review: A Turquoise Life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: A Turquoise Life

Post by Jesska6029 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Turquoise Life" by Diann Kissell and Kathy Bird.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How do you survive terrible abuse everyday? When your abuser is the one meant to protect you from harmful things, whom do you turn to? Diann Kissell and Kathy Bird tackle these questions and more in A Turquoise Life. The memoir details Kissell’s abusive childhood and her journey to a place of closure and healing. Diann is just a child when her father sexually assaults her. She is forced to live with what has been done to her all of her life. Eventually, Diann must decide if she wants to live her life in dark colors or live life in a color much brighter.

I will be upfront. I loved this memoir. I have been reading quite a few memoirs lately, but none of them have hit me right in the “feels” like this one. I will start with what I loved most: Diann. She is someone I aspire to be like. She does not sugarcoat anything, and she does not hold back any information, even certain information that may not portray her in the best light. She admits she did things she is not proud of, but she owns those mistakes. I don’t want to give away too much, but once readers are introduced to “Sandra”, they will understand what I mean. Honestly, I loved her honesty. As I read, I felt like I could trust her, which says a lot because I always question people’s honesty in memoirs. Telling her story must have been so difficult, but she does it to help herself and others struggling with similar things. Diann is so relatable. Readers will be able to connect with her because her loving, warm and caring personality comes right through the pages. I rooted for her the whole time I read, and I am still rooting for her wherever she is!

The writing style is great and flows beautifully, and the pacing of the memoir is wonderful. The subject matter is heavy, and it is hard to read at times; however, the facts and depictions of these heavy moments are placed in such a way that the material is readable, and readers will not be overwhelmed. That being said, when I read the descriptions of Diann’s abuse, I wanted to close my eyes. The sections are not overly graphic, but I just didn’t want anything bad to happen to Diann because I had become so attached. I want to be clear that I did read those sections in there entirety, and I do caution readers that they may find the content hard to get through, but I do strongly encourage all readers to try because Diann’s story is powerful.

The people in Diann’s life all appear to be portrayed honestly. I say this because she includes the good and sometimes troublesome sides of the important people in her life. She describes them all in such a way that readers will have a clear picture of every person Diann encounters. I felt like I knew her friends and family, and I cheered for their victories and shed tears for their tragedies. There are a lot of people depicted in this memoir, and it is a testament to the strong writing styles of Kissell and Bird that readers will be able to recognize all of the people introduced in this memoir with ease.

As I stated before, the material is heavy, but when I finished reading, I realized the dark parts were not what stayed with me. The loving, tender and triumphant moments impacted me the most. I loved when Diann just shares time with her family and when she proves that even though terrible things have happened to her, she still has the capability and the want to love and be loved. I know future readers will love these moments.

I give A Turquoise Life 4 out of 4 stars. Diann’s story is one everyone should read. Yes, this is a memoir about a victim of terrible abuse, but that does not mean only other abuse victims should read it. Abuse and assault are far too common in today’s society, and this is an important piece of writing that could go a long way to stopping heinous acts from happening. Everyone should read this memoir. I applaud Diann for her bravery in sharing her story, and her bravery deserves nothing less than 4 stars. Her story makes me want to live a life in turquoise.

A Turquoise Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jesska6029's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
bettybug35
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bettybug35 »

This seems like a really emotional read. Nice review!
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

bettybug35 wrote:This seems like a really emotional read. Nice review!
Thank you! I really enjoyed this book!
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
DiannK

Post by DiannK »

Thanks for the great review. This whole thing has been an amazing process. It's very interesting to open your whole life for speculation; yet, I have only found love and respect from people who have read my story. My partner, Kathy Bird (the author) was able to give voice to my pain and growth in a wonderfully, readable way. We appreciate your insightful review.
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

DiannK wrote:Thanks for the great review. This whole thing has been an amazing process. It's very interesting to open your whole life for speculation; yet, I have only found love and respect from people who have read my story. My partner, Kathy Bird (the author) was able to give voice to my pain and growth in a wonderfully, readable way. We appreciate your insightful review.
Thank you so much for sharing your story; it has moved me so much. I know people will be so touched by your book and your story. Thank you for commenting on my review!
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

Very insightful Jesska, your review made me want to read this story, especially your highlighting of the skill with which the author described her abuse, but did not overpower the positive outcome with the negative beginning.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

Escapeartist wrote:Very insightful Jesska, your review made me want to read this story, especially your highlighting of the skill with which the author described her abuse, but did not overpower the positive outcome with the negative beginning.
Thank you so much for your kind words! I do hope you pick up the book!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice, insightful review. This looks like a very good book, but I think I will pass based on the subject matter.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

bookowlie wrote:Nice, insightful review. This looks like a very good book, but I think I will pass based on the subject matter.
Thanks so much for commenting! It's not for everyone, but the story is powerful.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

That's a great review!! It sounds like a good book.
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:That's a great review!! It sounds like a good book.
Thank you! It is a lovely book!
bettybug35

Post by bettybug35 »

I just put this on my "next to read list" !!! I'm pretty excited!!
Jesska6029

Post by Jesska6029 »

bettybug35 wrote:I just put this on my "next to read list" !!! I'm pretty excited!!
That's great! Let me know what you think!
bettybug35

Post by bettybug35 »

I definitely will!
inlovewithbooks
Currently Reading: Corey to the Rescue!
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inlovewithbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Guilt Club" by Lauren Tomsett
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by inlovewithbooks »

I work at a center against domestic violence, and even though I hear personal horror stories every day, it never ceases to impact me. It takes a lot of courage to tell someone about the verbal, physical, and mental abuse. Telling your story is a big step towards healing your body and soul. Great review, thank you for sharing
Latest Review: "The Guilt Club" by Lauren Tomsett

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”