Official Review: Lucid Dreams and the Holy Spirit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Official Review: Lucid Dreams and the Holy Spirit

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 13 Jun 2015, 12:57

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucid Dreams and the Holy Spirit" by Maria Isabel Pita.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lucid Dreams and the Holy Spirit is an autobiography written by Maria Isabel Pita. In this autobiography, Maria shares her experience with lucid dreaming and how it brought her back to Christ. The description of this book caught my attention for two reasons: 1) I have always taken an interest in dreams and their meanings and 2) I knew right away I could relate with the author on many levels.

The definition of lucid dreaming is when someone is dreaming and they are aware of it. When I first started reading the book I did some research on lucid dreaming and was drawn even more towards it due to the possibilities a person has in their dream state. For example, from what Maria wrote and what I found on the internet, flying is a popular thing in lucid dreaming, if you can will it, you can do it. The author mentions how the term ‘lucid dreaming’ is relatively new but the actual practice has been around for thousands of years. This was a hook, line and sinker for me. Dreams and history combined? That is intriguing.

Maria’s first dream that she writes about, is the dream that started her on her journey back to Christ. This is a journey which happens over the course of five years. What begins as “beginner” or unintelligent lucid dreaming over the course of a couple years becomes intelligent lucid dreaming. Meaning Maria could lucid dream often and she knew she was doing it. As we continue into the book, Maria’s relationship and feelings towards a man she has come to know as her “guardian lord” grows. He played a key part in her dreams along with many other people Maria knew and people she did not know. However the feeling of immense love towards this man and that he felt for her was always palpable.

Over the course of the five years, on her journey, Maria finds herself tested by entities she identified as either being the Devil or his minions. As I would read through these stories I could feel fear for the author. However, the way the author perceives the dreams when she wakes as pointing out her own flaws made sense and was symbolic. The symbolism throughout the story was evident, the good and the bad. All the people she saw in her dreams, from family members to people she didn't know all played a role in rediscovering her relationship with Christ.

Throughout all of Maria’s dreams as she suspects who her guardian lord is and as she finds people who also lucid dream the reader is drawn further into Maria’s dreams. And I liked that it made me think and think hard about my faith which is I say I can relate with the author. Like the author, I also grew up Catholic, but as I grew older I lost my way. Reading about Maria finding her way back was very much inspiring to read. I will say, however, that I found myself questioning the validity and truth behind what Maria was saying. A few instances seemed crazy and made me skeptical although I would like to believe what was written because anything is possible.

In her autobiography, Maria Isabel Pita, references several other works I found to be very helpful throughout the story. These references related to her dreams and how she perceived them and I believe it added to the story and kept it interesting. It also gave me ideas for additional works to read. All in all I enjoyed this book. It was humorous, it was inspiring and most of all it made me think. I rate Lucid Dreams and the Holy Spirit by Maria Isabel Pita a 4 out of 4 stars. This is a book I would recommend to any reader that has an interest in dreams and believes in Christ. I would check out more of Maria’s writings and would buy a physical copy of this book.

Lucid Dreams and the Holy Spirit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TrishaAnn92's review? Post a comment saying so!
‘A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’

– George R. R. Martin

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
-Harry Potter

gali
Site Admin
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Places in the Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 1892
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 18 Jun 2015, 22:23

Thank you for the great review. I will pass though as this isn't my cup of tea. 8)
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

PashaRu
Currently Reading: "voices and groans and shrieks and wailings"
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu » 18 Jun 2015, 22:30

Thanks for a great review, Trisha! Sounds a little weird for my taste, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Bernadette
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bernadette.html

Post by Bernadette » 19 Jun 2015, 04:59

Nice review, seems like a good read.

TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 19 Jun 2015, 05:46

gali wrote:Thank you for the great review. I will pass though as this isn't my cup of tea. 8)
Thanks! Yeah not usually my type of book but I wanted to try and broaden my horizons. 8-)

-- June 19th, 2015, 6:47 am --
PashaRu wrote:Thanks for a great review, Trisha! Sounds a little weird for my taste, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Thanks! Yeah it was definitely odd but intriguing. :)

-- June 19th, 2015, 6:48 am --
Bernadette wrote:Nice review, seems like a good read.
Thank you! :)
‘A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’

– George R. R. Martin

-Harry Potter

zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79

Post by zeldas_lullaby » 20 Jun 2015, 23:22

Great review! I love lucid dreams!!

TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 21 Jun 2015, 07:08

Thanks! I amiss still trying to have a lucid dream! Lol :)

– George R. R. Martin

-Harry Potter

zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79

Post by zeldas_lullaby » 21 Jun 2015, 11:35

I've had them, quite frequently. I cannot control them--I can't decide to go somewhere else entirely or be with someone, etc. What I can do is enjoy the scenery as it presents itself. Flying/gliding often happens! Generally, I'll jump from a high place such as a window ledge, glide for a while, and gradually touch down.

Probably the best lucid dream I ever had was: I was at my grandmother's house (in the dream, not in real life), and I was downstairs at her kitchen or dining room table--I don't quite recall. There were all these delightful different candy varieties in front of me--fun candies that you only see on Halloween, exotic candies that only existed in this dream (...?), etc. You get the idea: everlasting gobstoppers, chocolates, runts, etc.

So I sat there and ate one wonderful candy after another. Oh, it was divine. Several minutes of candy eating!! Then my mom came downstairs and said, "Won't you gain a lot of weight from eating all that candy?"

And I said, "Nope, because this is all a dream, and a wonderful one at that. I can eat all the candy I want, and my body won't process any of it!" And I kept eating the candy, of course.

Oh, that was wonderful.

csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 » 21 Jun 2015, 12:56

This is an excellent review. I am a Christian, which is why I think this might be an interesting book for me to read as well. I also believe that dreams can have meaning as well. The candy dream that zeldas_lullaby had sounds very interesting. I certainly wish that I could have dreams like that. Thanks so much for the great review. It was a pleasure to read it :)
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 21 Jun 2015, 13:05

Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. :)

– George R. R. Martin

-Harry Potter

PatriciaTompkins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PatriciaTompkins » 25 Jun 2015, 04:24

I like your review. This is my type of book because I believe in Christ, and because I sometimes have lucid dreams. I will have to look for this book at my local library. Thanks.

Patricia

TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 19 Sep 2015, 12:44

No problem! I have attempted to have a lucid dream since reading this book and have failed miserably. I have dreams and I unconsciously know it's a dream but fail to move into the lucidity part of it. Oh well...maybe one day. :)

My name is Patricia to! lol :)

– George R. R. Martin

-Harry Potter

Cee-Jay Aurinko
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko » 06 Oct 2015, 05:15

I'm glad this book met all your expectations, TrishaAnne92. Lucid Dreaming is a topic that interests me as well as I myself have had a couple of those, but it never takes me long from the moment I become aware that I'm dreaming for me to wake up. It's like I'm an unwelcome guest in my own head!
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King

TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 06 Oct 2015, 06:37

That's funny! I have come close a couple times like I know I am dreaming but to actually cross that threshold into Lucid Dreaming I just can't seem to do it.

– George R. R. Martin

-Harry Potter

Cee-Jay Aurinko
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 2
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko » 07 Oct 2015, 14:29

TrishaAnne92 I know a great trick for having extremely vivid dreams that you will remember long after you wake, which will help you identify the dream world in future dreams over time - drink lots of water, especially cold water, every time before you go to sleep.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”