Review of Corsairs on the Spanish Main

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Review of Corsairs on the Spanish Main

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Corsairs on the Spanish Main" by Guy Pommares.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Corsairs on the Spanish Main is a historical non-fiction book written by Guy Pommares. The book details the history of the corsairs, or privateers, who operated in the Caribbean and the Spanish Main—the coasts of Central and South America— during the 16th and 17th centuries. The book covers the activities of these privateers, their ships, and their tactics, as well as the impact they had on the economies and societies of the Caribbean and the Spanish Main. It also covers the interactions between the corsairs and the various European powers that controlled the area during this time period.

This book told the tales of the daring and brave corsairs and how they took risks at their own expense on behalf of their king, Francis 1 of France. These corsairs, who also called themselves Brothers of the Coast, also went as far as setting up a hidden base right on an island controlled by their very own enemies— The Spaniards. This book also told the story of how the powers that be conducted themselves around power. This power included the power to own certain territories and countries and even possibly control a whole continent. It also connected the dots on how the activities of those in power affected the course of the world in the grand scheme of things.

On the positive aspect, it was quite a detailed work which would be very suitable for research and reference purposes. Through this book, we get to know about so many historical feats that before now had simply been lost to time. The book was also edited properly.

While the book contained a detailed account of historical events, which revolve mostly around the activities of privateers or corsairs in the Caribbean and Spanish Main, I think that the book failed to achieve what I would like to call 'curious wonder.' As a lover of anything revolving around history, I'm always filled with curiosity at what the past was like and wonder at the many feats achieved by our past predecessors. This book was found lacking in that aspect. The book also failed to achieve ebb and flow; hence any reader can get lost easily. One would even find the book arrangement and the terminologies used confusing.

Corsairs on the Spanish Main is not your regular book. It is not and will never be the first resort of the average reader. It is a book I solely recommend for research and reference purposes. While the book showed insights by giving a detailed enough account of various historical events lost to history, the book lacked flow which is the heart of every work of literature, both fiction and non-fiction. Therefore, I give this a 3 out of 5 stars.

Corsairs on the Spanish Main
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I had to Google privateer. I had heard the word before, but, while I knew what they were generally, I wanted to know for sure. I enjoy learning about things like this, but I am not interested in what might be a reference book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”