Review of Finally!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Osowilliams720
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osowilliams720.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Review of Finally!

Post by Osowilliams720 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finally!" by Peggy Romero.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As far as stories about overcoming challenges and working toward a plan in life go, I don't think I have read any other book that has inspired me as much as Finally!: Becoming Who You Were Always Meant to Be by Peggy Romero in the last couple of years.

Being raised in an environment where there were certain expectations of her as well as a glass ceiling, it was very easy for her to doubt herself, especially with the lack of encouragement from her parents and her brother constantly bullying her. Getting pregnant and eventually married at the young age of eighteen compounded her problems, as she was stuck in a marriage with a drunk, with a lot of responsibilities on her shoulders. It would not be until Peggy turned twenty-seven that she would experience a rebirth. Exploring her fears, failures, and constant self-sabotage, she takes us through her journey from zero to her own hero. Pick up a copy of the book to learn from this motivating journey.

I must commend the author for finding the strength to disclose several not-so-pleasant aspects of her life that can cause even the strongest of us to feel shame, from being raped and almost strangled to death to her struggles with cigarette addiction and finding and rejecting love. This is a testament to the growth she has made throughout her life, and it inspires bravery, which is a recurring theme in the book while the author shows fear's role in holding us back.

The author baring all of her flaws made her come across as an authentic individual as well, and it was very easy for me to relate to her story. Even the best of us make mistakes and have our share of trauma, but what counts is how often we can pick ourselves up and forge ahead. This was my biggest takeaway from this book, as well as my favorite aspect.

In this book, Peggy has also demonstrated a fantastic storytelling ability, especially with her attention to detail when it comes to bringing her emotions about any situation to the forefront. We are taken through several of her tough experiences at the beginning of the book, and you can trust me when I say that it is an emotional rollercoaster. Nevertheless, her growth as the story went on was worth waiting for.

I must also comment on Peggy's expert organization of the book. Her story is divided into two parts, and after the second part, she puts extra effort into extracting the lessons from her journey. God's role in her successes is also highlighted throughout the book, and I could see how important faith was in her development. Furthermore, I did find a few errors in the text, but it seemed professionally edited since the errors were few and far between. I cannot point to any aspect of the book I do not like.

On that note, the maximum rating of five out of five is well deserved. The book inspires confidence to not just dream but also to chase those dreams, regardless of any fears you may have. Readers who enjoy inspirational memoirs will enjoy this book, and I will recommend it to them.

Finally!
View: on Bookshelves
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

It takes a lot to write about one's story. Especially exposing the little tiny details that are not so good. This I find courageous. Kudos for this wonderful review.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke
2023 Reading Goal: 100
2023 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I think when I read this book, I am inspired to write my own story too. Peggy's story brings so many lessons. I love to be deeply moved by her story. Thanks for your outstanding review!
"True education means mind development, not merely the gathering and classifying of knowledge". ~Napoleon Hill

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”