Review of Dying Well

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Treasure Elendu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treasure-elendu.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of Dying Well

Post by Treasure Elendu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dying Well" by Susan Ducharme Hoben.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Seeing those who helped you become strong when you were weak become weak might be depressing.

Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben is a memoir about the author. Susan has survived breast cancer. She was married to Bruce and had children. Everybody will wish for the love she had in her marriage. Susan was devastated to learn that her husband Bruce was fighting cancer, but instead of dwelling on her sorrow, she and her family resolved to make his final moments special.

I enjoy reading memoirs, especially those that discuss overcoming or coming to terms with a chronic condition. This book exudes so much enthusiasm and offers not just hope, but because someone very dear to me passed away from cancer, every aspect of this book is extremely relatable. I still clearly recall it, and I regret not reading this book sooner. Her account jogs my memory. The themes of hope, acceptance, and making the most of life are also discussed in this novel, which is not just about love and loss. The novel brings you to a place where you cry, are happy, and also consider death differently. I was enticed to read more by the author's prose style. Her calmness is extremely hard to come by. The line that struck me is, "There is a strength that comes from knowing you will die and still refusing to love with anything less than your whole self." Despite knowing he would pass away, Bruce and Susan's actions remained the same, and their love grew stronger.

There was nothing about this book to dislike. It was exceptionally well edited. Since many individuals are struggling with the same issue while also feeling alone, books like this one should be produced frequently. I discovered that, if we can manage our environment and make the most of our remaining time, dying may be a very serene experience. In contrast to other books about dying, this one gives readers advice on how to deal with a diagnosed person and prevents them from feeling alone. I salute the author for having the courage to write about her life in such a thorough and sincere manner. Not everyone dares to write about their life this way. She provided guidance, encouragement, and hope for everyone going through a health crisis. Moreover, she eliminated the terrifying aspect of death. I was unable to eat anything all day since this book made me laugh and cry. I couldn't have chosen a finer book to match my disposition.

My rating for this book is 5 out of 5 stars. I advocate it for families, individuals with various conditions, and caretakers. I also recommend it to individuals who find it challenging to appreciate nature (death).

Dying Well
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

I felt rrally emotional reading this review. It is heartbreaking to witness someone who stood by us go through ordeals we can't save them from.
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

It's great that the book is relatable to anyone going through difficult times or has a loved one suffering from a terminal illness. Your review provides a balanced view of the book, mentioning both its strengths and lack of weaknesses.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”