Review of Swear to God Holy Bible

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Grace Elkana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-elkana.html
Latest Review: Humanity Works Better by Debbie Cohen, Kate Roeske-Zummer

Review of Swear to God Holy Bible

Post by Grace Elkana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Swear to God Holy Bible" by Roy Murch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Swear to God Holy Bible by Roy Murch followed the story of a woman named Robin and her dysfunctional family. Robin grew up on the run from the authorities with her mother, sisters, and brother. Her father was absent from their lives, and her mother told them he was a missionary feeding the poor. Robin would later find out that he was in prison for molesting her older sisters. Robin was the intelligent one in the family. She loved school, attended modeling school, and was believed to be the family's star. However, her family's life was rough, and from an early age, she and her siblings were exposed to a lot of hurt and abuse. Swear to God Holy Bible chronicled her experiences and what she did with the lemons that life dealt her.

Swear to God Holy Bible was a story about a dysfunctional family and the traumas they experienced. However, there was simply no art to the storytelling in this book because it seemed like something a ten-year-old would write. The story ran like a nursery rhyme, not that it had any rhymes but because of the short sentences that gave off kindergarten vibes.

The story started almost abruptly with no solid background. The story continued in a bland tone that belied the potent emotions that the story should have portrayed. I would confidently say that this took a lot away from the story, as the characters seemed far removed from the readers, and the severity of their trauma was significantly diluted.

The writer's thoughts seemed disjointed with no discernable order. One second, the story was about her maturing into womanhood; the next, it was about her sister being married; and the next, the story tilted toward her school life. These oscillations were often in the same paragraphs, and none presented a complete picture of each of those story segments. The story timelines also suffered from a similar absence of chronological order, which confused me.

Irrespective of the above, readers who do not give up after the beginning chapters may be able to follow the story with a bit of effort. The story that was told in this book was very significant because of the lessons it carried. The subject matter was delicate, and the lessons would greatly benefit both parents and teenagers. The stories exposed the effects of abuse — sexual and physical— on both the abuser and the abused.

My favorite parts of this book were the last three chapters. These chapters had an exploratory feel to them. The author reflected on the essence of life, revealed many truths, and gave encouraging words. One essential truth was that life was short, and no matter one's experiences, one should live with hope, as tomorrow could always be better.

This book held essential messages for those who could discern them. There were many errors found that required editing. The book was not entirely bad, and some improvement in the storytelling would significantly impact the entire story.

I recommend Swear to God Holy Bible to people who have suffered from abuse, especially sexual abuse. They can find hope in the author's narrative. I rate this book three out of five stars. The low rating is because of the many negative aspects and the poor editing.

Swear to God Holy Bible
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”