Review of A knock at the Door

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Future Past Present by Walter Holder

Review of A knock at the Door

Post by Michael Valentine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A knock at the Door" by Ory Slonim.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Knock at the Door: The Story of my Secret Work with Israeli MIAs and POWs by Ory Slonim is a nonfiction that mirrors the author's life story, his thirty years career as a lawyer - Defense Attorney, and his voluntary work in the IDF Department of Casualties. The book also portrayed the effects of war and terrorism amongst the citizens and the uncertainty and traumas the families of the captives and MIAs dealt with.

This book opens up with a look at Ory's childhood being a descendant of a family that arrived in the land of Israel at the beginning of the nineteenth century and settled in Hebron. His grandfather, Menachem Schmuel Slonim, was one of the greatest and most important figures in Ory's life. Schmuel was a native-born resident of Hebron. He had a high intellect, loved storytelling, and practiced humanity. He loved all his grandchildren and never failed to teach them the core values of life, how to survive in their world, uphold their faith and religion and try to help others. These values never left Ory as they guided him in every sphere of his life, even to this day. Ory grew an interest in being an attorney, traveling the world, and helping people, which he did through his voluntary work with the IDF Department of Casualties.

Part of the things I liked about this book was the author's language choice - it was more of conversational and had a storytelling pattern. The theme of parental care was highly expressed through the characters of Menachem Slonim, who made sure to instill good moral values in his grandchildren, and Hadassah and Mordechai Fink, who did their best to take care of the rest of the children, having lost Yossi to the unending war. Ory made sure not to leave out the relevant details about the Israeli wars and issues with the terrorists and prisoners of war. He talked about those declared missing in action and those that were killed in action.

The theme of support and friendship was imbibed in the characters of Ory and his wife, Tamy, and Varda Pomerantz (the IDF Chief of Casualties), who were sources of hope and light to the families involved. The author shared with us, the readers, the grief and pain involved in losing a loved one who went to fight on behalf of the state, some of which information about them and their whereabouts was never discovered to date. The theme of trust and friendship was portrayed through the actions of Ory and most of his partners in the casualties department towards the bereaved families. This book was written in simple diction.

I found no negative aspects in this book. I recommend this book to everyone, especially those interested in history and lovers of war stories, as not everyone is mentally fit to absorb such stories and the aftereffects. This book was sufficiently edited, as there were very few errors, and I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars as I found no negative aspects while reading.

A knock at the Door
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”