Review of The twelve steps for agnostics

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Review of The twelve steps for agnostics

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The twelve steps for agnostics" by Andy F.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Addiction is an abyss. A lot of willpower is required to overcome addiction. People get easily addicted to alcohol. For a troubled soul, a glass of whisky may be the solution to all his problems. Little does he know that a mere liquid can upend his life in unforeseen ways. By the time one realizes the fallacies of spirits, it is very difficult to let go of them. Bill Wilson and Bob Smith founded a fellowship named Alcoholics Anonymous in 1935 to help fellow alcoholics live normal lives. Bill Wilson came up with the twelve steps that would help an alcoholic get his life back on track. The fellowship became wildly successful. Even today, it helps millions of alcoholics. However, it must be noted that it is believed that the twelve steps of AA have a highly spiritual foundation. The religious aspect of it might deter a lot of alcoholics who do not believe in God.

In his book, The Twelve Steps For Agnostics, Andy F interprets the twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous from an agnostic's point of view. He talks about non-God-centered spiritualism with the aim of making the twelve steps palatable to atheists, agnostics, and freethinkers. Divided into eighteen chapters, the book gives us a detailed understanding of alcoholism.

Andy makes us realize that alcoholism is a spiritual illness. However, spiritualism can be non-God-centered. I love the acronyms for God used in this book. Andy uses God to signify "Good Orderly Direction," "Gift of Desperation," and "Group of Drunks." These interpretations can make the concept of a higher power acceptable to even the most hard-core atheist.

It takes a lifelong commitment for an alcoholic to get his life back on track. The surefire ways to overcome one's addiction are to be humble and teachable. Andy underscores this by sharing his own experiences with us. His accounts about being a dry drunk are really hard-hitting. The way he talks about his relapses makes his book relatable. I love how Andy doesn't shy away from telling us about his difficult childhood and tumultuous relationships. He unabashedly admits that he had to go through a lot before he could let go of his past and the victim mentality that stemmed from it. The insights into his personal life would help any alcoholic realize that if Andy could let go of his past and live a great life, so could he.

One of the best things about The Twelve Steps For Agnostics is that it talks about mental health and human nature without any inhibitions. It does not justify addiction. At the same time, it does not crucify addicts. Andy simply provides a solution to get rid of addiction. The way he emphasizes the importance of getting help when required is admirable. I really like how he offers detailed explanations of each of the twelve steps. His frequent references to AA literature make the book all the more authentic. He even provides the charts and tables required to follow the methods effectively. Andy talks about the importance of getting the right sponsor. His experiences with different sponsors are provided to us for our perusal.

One of my favorite parts of the book is the Addendum. Here, Andy F talks about his addictions to stuff other than alcohol. Though it had nothing to do with his journey with AA, his addictions were nevertheless a part of him. These addictions were not only to predictable things like drugs. I have never touched alcohol or drugs in my life. Naturally, I never considered myself an addict. However, my eyes were opened after reading about Andy's addictions to food, money, relationships, and success among other things. I am sure that this section would be an eye-opener for many.

In my opinion, The Twelve Steps For Agnostics will not only be helpful for alcoholics. It will also be beneficial to anyone who finds their life unmanageable. Andy's take on the twelve steps is pretty innovative. I am sure that anyone who follows Andy's advice, be they an alcoholic or not, would benefit from it. Hence, I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who is going through a hard time in life. Unquestionably, I also recommend it to alcoholics and people with other addictions.

I will rate Andy F's book, The Twelve Steps For Agnostics, 4 out of 5 stars. I had to take off a star because I found more than ten errors. Apart from the minor errors, I did not find anything to dislike about the book.

Overall, The Twelve Steps For Agnostics is a great book for anyone who's looking to overcome alcoholism or experience a non-God-centered spiritual awakening.

The twelve steps for agnostics
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Kajori Sheryl Paul wrote, However, my eyes were opened after reading about Andy's addictions to food, money, relationships, and success among other things. I am sure that this section would be an eye-opener for many.
Wow, how nice the author makes this topic be opened to many. Yes, I agree that addiction is not just for alcoholism, but for those aspects mentioned above as well. This book sounds like a must-read book. Very nice review!
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

Wow I like how the author brought this alcoholic topic .the topice is really good .alcoholism is truly a spiritual illness that many people should avoid .nice review
Annas Felix
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

Alcoholism is a spiritual illness? That's an interesting assertion. I would love to know how the author solidifies this claim.
Anna_1203
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-1203.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anna_1203 »

Unfortunately, many people fall into the trap of alcohol, I hope this book will help them. Thank you for your interesting review.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”