Review of Blind Journey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Review of Blind Journey

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blind Journey" by Jack L Hawn.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Born on January 25, 1930, and welcomed by the collapse of the stock market, Jack Hawn would find himself drifting through life until a shock breakup that saw his girlfriend dump him just as she introduced her fiancé. Just 18 years old at that time, Jack would find himself at an army recruiting office where he would eventually enlist to join the army. It was not particularly clear whether the breakup led to that decision, but it would throw him into the world of journalism, in which he had no prior experience, thus commencing his blind journey. Around the same time, he met the most beautiful girl he had ever seen, Charlene. However, there was the small matter of a boyfriend who wasn't around.

Blind Journey: A Journalist's Memoirs by Jack Hawn explores numerous stories that focus on the author's experiences in which he not only details his career as a writer but also takes us through his family life, his time in the army, good and bad times, accomplishments, and disappointments, among other things.

The first aspect of this book that I enjoyed and must applaud was the author's honesty in taking us through many personal experiences. He described not just high points but also several of his screw-ups, from his mistakes as a writer to his issues with gambling that cost him when he and his wife were struggling for funds. I appreciated his honesty and learned a thing or two from his struggles.

In this book, what I saw was a flawed man who always wanted to provide for his family and persevered through numerous disappointments in his industry, even when it may have been easier to give up or switch careers. I found this very relatable. I also saw his deep love for writing and sports, especially boxing, shine through on the pages of the book. There is always a positive difference when someone narrates something they love doing, and this showed when Jack narrated his experiences with covering several sports occasions while meeting and interviewing numerous stars along the way, including Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, Ken Norton, Frank Sinatra, who had dreams of becoming a professional boxer, and the Andrews sisters who sold over 75 million records. Narrating his experiences with meeting these greats and seeing them in the ring is also an aspect of the book that fans of the boxing sport, like myself, will enjoy.

Another of the author's admirable qualities is how he often puts himself out there when the opportunity comes, regardless of whether he is qualified or unqualified. This was emphasized by his decision to join the public information office (PIO) in the army, even though there was a push from a superior, as well as his growth from selling ads and then working as a copy boy to becoming an editor and a TV show writer. He was always willing to explore and develop his abilities.

Blind Journey: A Journalist's Memoirs seems like a prequel to another of the author's books I have previously read, titled Insomnia, and I would advise readers to read this one first since it goes more in-depth about certain situations that are just breezed over in the other book. In fact, reading this book has improved my opinion of Insomnia as well, and I fully understand the intriguing character that is Jack Hawn.

The book is also exceptionally edited, as I did not find any errors while reading. This is even more impressive when you consider that it is a lengthy read. I cannot think of any aspect of the book I did not like. Therefore, I rate Blind Journey: A Journalist's Memoirs five out of five stars. I would recommend this captivating book to readers who enjoy memoirs as well as sports-themed books.

Blind Journey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
New Nikky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-new-nikky.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by New Nikky »

This is a very amazing review. I’ve always liked and looked forward to your reviews and this is not an exception. I enjoyed how you write I sequential order and how understanding the review is. I’m definitely reading this book soon. Congrats on your published review.
Silvia Idahosa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvia-idahosa.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Silvia Idahosa »

A story that highlights the low points, as well as the high points of a person's life, is always great to see. It brings a level of relatability, just as the reviewer mentioned. We get to see the good, the bad and the ugly decisions. When it is all laid bare for the reader, there is so much to learn. Great review.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

Doing something you love doing is a luxury not everyone can afford. That is why people excel more at their craft if it's something they love doing. There's room for improvement and development and that is the beautiful thing. Jack Hawn deserves to be a role model for putting together such a motivational piece
Judy O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-o.html
Latest Review: Granite Kingdom by Eric Pope

Post by Judy O »

I think Jack's girlfriend leaving him at the time is a blessing in disguise because he seems too young for commitment at 18. I'd love to know more about his time in the army. Interesting plot.
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

Jack must have been greatly hurt when his girlfriend broke his heart, I really like good memoirs and I can tell this is a really great one, not a fan of sport themed books though.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

This is really a blind journey. First joining army and venturing into journalism where he knows nothing to falling in love with a girl that has traveling boyfriend. What a blind journey indeed.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

Wow it is in deed a blind journey I feel for jack for the broke up and then going to the army it might be a tough decision but I commend the review great job.keep up the good work
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

Although I haven't read this book it sounds interesting to look at. I must commend your review I'm looking forward to reading more of it. Kudos can't wait to read it.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Heartbreaks can make one do some unthinkable things. I am glad the protagonist still got on his foot and was able to make a living for himself and from your review, it looks a bit like he was able to find love.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

I learnt something here which is never to give up. Failure is also part of the process of success. I love your review. It’s so simple to read. Well done!
Annas Felix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

It takes great courage to share personal experiences with the public, especially the not-so-good ones. I salute the author's honesty.
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

I don't like books with a sports theme, but based on the review, this is a blind adventure. The plot was aptly described in the title. I feel Jack's pain. It may have been difficult for him to split up with his girlfriend, but joining the army might not have been the best decision.
Opara Jerry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opara-jerry.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Opara Jerry »

Moo Reny wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 08:55 Jack must have been greatly hurt when his girlfriend broke his heart, I really like good memoirs and I can tell this is a really great one, not a fan of sport themed books though.
I honestly think it might be a good idea to lol passed the sporty theme And just enjoy the drama of the book. Might be worth while.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”