Review of The Power of Being Seen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review of The Power of Being Seen

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Power of Being Seen" by Roger Saillant.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

One hot July day, eleven-year-old Roger Saillant is hard at work gathering hay when a visitor shows up at his foster family's farm. We quickly learn that Roger hates being called "son" by the farmer, Mr. McClelland, because apart from anything else, he is too old to be his father. Given his harsh demands of the boys he fosters, it's not surprising that Roger dreams of escaping the farm once he learns that the visitor is a social worker bearing a letter from his biological mother.

She had placed him in foster care as an infant. After this early loss of an attachment figure derailed Roger's development, he became a toddler with behavioural problems like biting. Considered to lack promise, he was ultimately placed on a farm to learn useful skills. Over time, the early limiting assessment of Roger was increasingly questioned by key figures who noticed him. Roger Saillant's memoir, The Power of Being Seen, is in part a tribute to those who reached out to him. Struggling to fulfil his academic and athletic potential while working hard on the farm, and navigating his relationships with his birth mother and other blood relatives, Roger recounts life-shaping events and misadventures. Memoirs sometimes lose pace if they drift off into a series of anecdotes. This one does not: it is an exciting read because each chapter deliberately signposts a life lesson or development.

As a result, although factual, this book reads like realistic fiction where the physical world harbours layers of symbolic significance, all captured in the chapter headings. For example, Chapter 13, "Combat", starts with Roger hoeing the crops in a fight against weeds. The chapter takes a fascinating turn when Roger tries to gain a breather by getting Mr. McClelland to talk about his time serving in World War One. Such details cleverly convey information about the people in the story. Roger has already spoken volumes about Mr. McClelland in noting, "War suited his nature." (p. 57) A new layer is added to the combat theme when Mr. McClelland's stories inspire Roger to claim in school that he visited France in the summer and saw the trenches. Although suspicious, his teacher does not punish him for lying but soon spots his work-worn hands, becoming one of the figures with the power to see the tough rows Roger has to hoe, both literally and figuratively. Whenever this happens, the well-chosen title comes to mind, which increases the book's impact.

The emotionally charged events mean that readers can empathize with Roger. This contributes to an intense reading experience along with the multi-layered narrative. Although it was always apparent that this book was carefully put together, I was initially confused when the chronology was not linear. For example, a chapter featuring Roger's third- and fourth-grade teacher comes after one about his fifth- and sixth-grade teacher. This is because the material is organized thematically, and it still follows a rough chronological order overall. Owing to its vivid writing and careful crafting, this book has no major flaws. On the basis of its rich and structured content and attractive presentation in print, it earns a perfect rating of five out of five stars.

It affected me so profoundly that it increased my interest in memoirs. Needless to say, I recommend The Power of Being Seen by Roger Saillant to memoir fans, but given its literary presentation and the symbolism of the events recounted, this also might appeal to you if you like historical fiction. It might also be worthwhile for those with an academic or vocational interest in child development. Sensitive readers are warned that it contains some graphic violence and cruelty to animals.

The Power of Being Seen
View: on Bookshelves
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

I find it saddening to see a child who grew up without a mother’s love. It tends to build up resentment in the child. This is a great plot.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

This sounds like a very interesting memoir and the balance between the hard labour he had to put in, but also how it symbolizes his journey to self-discovery and working through his heartaches. This definitely sounds like a must-read book!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Temi book wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 07:13 I find it saddening to see a child who grew up without a mother’s love. It tends to build up resentment in the child. This is a great plot.
Hi,

Yes, the author was obviously profoundly affected by that early loss. This made the story very moving, but also heartening, because luckily, Roger was seen by some adults in his life.

Thank you for reading and commenting!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Hubre De Klerk wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 09:22 This sounds like a very interesting memoir and the balance between the hard labour he had to put in, but also how it symbolizes his journey to self-discovery and working through his heartaches. This definitely sounds like a must-read book!
The foster system he ended up in was more of a hangover from the nineteenth century, so hopefully no one experiences foster care like that today! As I said, this made me want to read more memoirs for their value as firsthand historical accounts. Thank you for your kind comment!
Mod
Glory_C
Currently Reading: Keysha's Drama
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glory-c.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Glory_C »

Wow. I've seen my twin with similar mind. The book also piqued my interest in memoirs. Needless to say, I recommend to people who enjoy historical fiction. They are not left out as they would equally enjoy it. Thanks for a great review!
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

My love for memoirs and all the lessons embedded in them. This sounds like a nice one, especially the whole details of foster homes. I for one feel a lot of empathy for persons who had to go to foster one, so I believe I will enjoy this book. Nice review, it was worth the read.
Nemanja Jankovic
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 546
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemanja-jankovic.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Nemanja Jankovic »

Based on your review, I would say that the book is well structured. I like that you pointed out that the book is like realistic fiction.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Glory_C wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 09:37 Wow. I've seen my twin with similar mind. The book also piqued my interest in memoirs. Needless to say, I recommend to people who enjoy historical fiction. They are not left out as they would equally enjoy it. Thanks for a great review!
Glad to hear you see the appeal of memoirs based on this book! Thank you for your kind comment.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Chandelier Eden wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 04:25 My love for memoirs and all the lessons embedded in them. This sounds like a nice one, especially the whole details of foster homes. I for one feel a lot of empathy for persons who had to go to foster one, so I believe I will enjoy this book. Nice review, it was worth the read.
Yes, it's an interesting subject - makes you realize how difficult things are for some children but also what factors can help them. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Lecdeliv wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 15:13 Based on your review, I would say that the book is well structured. I like that you pointed out that the book is like realistic fiction.
Yes, those were good points - made me keen to read other memoirs that have been prepared in a structured way. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Mod
Deborah_27
Currently Reading: The Reluctant Refugee
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Deborah_27 »

It obvious Roger experience lot of life shaping events. It saddened that he lived without mother's love. It's a really emotional story
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Deborah_27 wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 13:06 It obvious Roger experience lot of life shaping events. It saddened that he lived without mother's love. It's a really emotional story
Yes, and a very powerful one! Thank you for reading and commenting.
Mod
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A memoir that talks about what Roger pass through while growing up without a mother. It was always difficult to grow up without a mother and I know what Roger would face wasn't going to be easy. I am glad you enjoyed reading this book. Nice review.
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

Firstly, I want to commend the wonderful review. I genuinely feel sorry for the author of this book. Growing up without a mother's love can be difficult.Nice review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”