Review of Walking away from shame

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Review of Walking away from shame

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Walking away from shame" by Sandra Abbott Elmore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Walking Away From Shame by Sandra Abbott Elmore is a true story about the trials and tribulations that Sandra faced, from when she was a young girl growing up in Wichita, Kansas, into her later years. Sandra relates how not listening to God’s word resulted in her getting pregnant at 12 years of age, and having her son, William, taken from her. She details how as a young child, she felt shame about the pregnancy that occurred through no fault of hers. Other life events and decisions bring her shame before she realizes she is not listening to God and is lying to Him by making promises she does not keep. Throughout the book, Sandra demonstrates how God intervenes and speaks to us when we listen and have faith in Him. Sandra’s intuition often told her she was in danger, but she did not listen to herself. What trials and tribulations did Sandra go through during her life? What advice did God give her? Does she find happiness?

Sandra Abbott Elmore did a fantastic job providing background information on all the characters in this book and making them feel like next-door neighbors. The plot is told chronologically, with reminders to help connect the circumstances and God’s promises. Although this is a religious book with scriptures, Sandra Abbott Elmore does not come across as preachy. Reading this book will teach you how difficult situations can turn into treasures you will always cherish. I found it interesting that a bow dollar is the same as a 50-cent piece. At the end of the book, you will find pictures and a list of the scriptures used in the book.

The main flaw in this book is that the author needs to have this interesting book professionally edited. There are many discrepancies, misspelled words, and other mistakes that a professional editor would have found. Although it was typical for the era, I was disappointed with how a pedophile was dealt with. Unfortunately, this was a time when reputations and appearances were more important than they are today.

The number of mistakes did not distract from my reading enjoyment, but they did force me to deduct one star from the rating. There was no reason for me to give this book lower than 4 out of 5 stars.

This book is for mature readers who enjoy reading spiritual memoirs. Readers need to believe in the power and wisdom of God’s word to understand better how the author’s life revolved around them. If religion, pedophiles, and non-borderline profanity offend you, you may want to avoid this book.

Walking away from shame
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Being pregnant at 12 is such a challenging, and 'big life transition experience. Being a mom at such a young age is difficult. It is sad, her son was brought out of her. And I like how Sandra acknowledges God's guidance. At last, she heard what God wanted for her. Thanks for your insightful review! Well done!
CrossK
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

Sandra Abbott Elmore did a fantastic job providing background information on all the characters in this book and making them feel like next-door neighbors. Great review.
Annas Felix
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annas-felix.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Annas Felix »

I like that readers can relate to the characters in this book, even like next-door neighbors. That's a fantastic feature. Awesome.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”