Review of Stoicism, Bullying, and Beyond

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of Stoicism, Bullying, and Beyond

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stoicism, Bullying, and Beyond" by Matt Sharpe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

According to the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, bullying is seen as acts or verbal comments that could psychologically or mentally hurt or isolate a person. Sometimes, bullying can be a form of aggression, and the actions can come in either obvious or subtle forms. In a workplace, bullying can affect the overall temperament of an organization, especially concerning effectiveness. How does a victim handle bullying in the workplace?

Stoicism, Bullying, and Beyond by Matt Sharpe particularly applies the principle of stoicism to interpersonal relationships in the office space. It is a book about how to survive workplace bullying or "mobbing," and it strives to demonstrate how victims can use the philosophy of stoicism to get through difficult experiences.

What I like most is the different exercises set out to be accomplished in the book. As a practical self-help book, it empowers the reader with specific skills. It affirms that certain skills are essential for working toward overcoming workplace mobbing. Stoicism, Bullying, and Beyond introduces the helpful concept of stoicism, which helps one to develop self-control and grit. This will aid in addressing the injustice to which the targets are subjected. It will also aid in enhancing the growth of one's core values, self-efficacy, and self-esteem. Within this book exists specific life skills (including mindful awareness, goal-setting, empathy, and positive self-talk) that are visible in the exercises laid out throughout the book's pages.

I also liked that a comprehensive list was made in the appendix. First, there was a list of exercises arranged in chronological order. This would help the reader follow the stoicism philosophy effectively. The appendices also contained detailed references for each of the book's components, adding a sense of purposeful construction and aiding further research into the philosophy of stoicism.

I was skeptical about this book. I accepted to read it out of curiosity. Like every curious mind, I wanted to understand the author's perspective on the philosophy of stoicism. Thankfully, the author was objective and focused on the subject matter; he didn't cite unnecessary instances that could create animosity in the reader's mind.

While I like the book, for the most part, the arrangement can be worked on. Rearranging the subheadings into more chapters with an exercise or two ending each chapter can help with the flow. Stoicism, Bullying, and Beyond is exceptionally edited, as there are no grammatical or typographical errors. Regardless of the minor concern, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to individuals experiencing bullying in the office space.

Stoicism, Bullying, and Beyond
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Working on yourself to limit the effects of bullying on you is an admirable goal, but does not deal with the root problem or help anyone else.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Bullying affects psychologically. The words are sharper than the swords. It reaches the soul.
Chandelier Eden
Currently Reading: Adam
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandelier-eden.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Chandelier Eden »

Amy Luman wrote: 30 Nov 2022, 12:30 Working on yourself to limit the effects of bullying on you is an admirable goal, but does not deal with the root problem or help anyone else.
I definitely agree with you on this one. In as much as people grow themselves to overcome bullying, the root problem really needs to be dealt with. I have experience bullying before, and had to systematically grow out of it, but it did not change the fact that the bully was never dealt with.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”