Review of Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elle R McTiph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-r-mctiph.html
Latest Review: Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch by Kristine McGuire
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 116%

Review of Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch

Post by Elle R McTiph »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch" by Kristine McGuire.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Meanwhile, Back At The Ranch by Kristine McGuire is a memoir that details the author’s experiences as the owner of a ranch in Wyoming. The only way I can describe the book is that it is half a memoir, and the other half deals with the interesting history of the ranch and Wyoming itself. McGuire writes from a knowledgeable perspective with a background in science and history, incorporating and presenting scrupulously curated facts through engaging prose.

I have to admit that I didn’t expect to engage with this book as much as I did. I picked it up with mild interest, but it quickly exceeded my expectations. I really enjoyed seeing McGuire’s curiosity play out throughout the pages. She discovers a red sandstone arch with the initials of people who chose to call Wyoming their home; it dates back to 1812.

Through the prose, McGuire makes the reader curious to learn more about the history and their individual contributions to the state, which actually turned out to be quite amusing. I like the fact that she skips no detail, including both the good and the bad. I found myself enjoying the little induction into the world of Wyoming.

There were pictures included as well, which helped visualize what she was talking about. McGuire talked so passionately about Wyoming and the ranch that it made me curious about what it was like to actually be there, which is the highest praise that I can give a book.

However, that being said, I did have one problem. I stated that McGuire included a lot of details and facts in the book, which is something I enjoyed, but I just felt like some of them were a little unnecessary. Even if some of these details were left out, the book would still be effective in getting its point through. Ultimately, they just bogged down the pacing. Not so much that reading was a slog, but enough that I had to deduct a point and give this 4 out of 5 stars.

This was still a well-written book. It was very well-edited, and I found no errors. I enjoyed it and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys nonfiction books that delve into interesting topics that are unfamiliar to them—to anyone who enjoys indulging their curiosity. I think they would enjoy this. This is coming from someone who is not usually a fan of memoirs, but I think McGuire produced something of excellent quality that would be worth the read for most people.

Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
it is what it is ....

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”