Review of Monkey on a Turntable

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Monkey on a Turntable by Ken Keller

Review of Monkey on a Turntable

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Monkey on a Turntable" by Ken Keller.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Life is programmed into time and segments: time to work and time to recount all that happened while working. Recounting one's times of vibrant work during a youthful age is best done at an older age; this time of one's life, described as the "evening time," allows for a full-time recap and a sufficient understanding of what life truly is. With old age comes grey hair, and each strand of hair has a deep story to be told. This story serves as a guide for the younger generation, giving them a view into what life used to be like before they were born, allowing them to compare with the happenings of the present and perhaps prepare enough to shape the future.

Ken Keller, in his book titled Monkey on a Turntable, shared what life used to be during the radio days. Before the introduction of FM, radio frequencies were AM, there were few radio and TV stations, and industrial equipment was not as sophisticated as it is now. Having started his career at a student radio station, Ken Keller recounts in this book his life and time while working in the early 1950s at a radio station. He explains what it feels like to be on the radio, conducting interviews, hosting a program, doing commentary for a match, and many more functions. Read this book to find out what media used to be in the last century and to draw strength from the author's story of rising from grass to grace.

This book was an inspiring read for me, and I enjoyed reading it. The author's writing style is unique and easy to read. The book has ten chapters. From chapter one, "Sign On," to chapter ten, "Sign Off," there are lifelong lessons to be learned from the book. The author's entry into the radio world shows the importance of determination and courage. Although Ken didn't earn much while working at a student station, he didn't let this kill his dream of working full-time in the industry. He used his youth to build relationships, a career for himself, a business now managed by his son, and, more importantly, a marriage of over 45 years. I can only imagine the smile on Ken's face when he was writing about how a radio station fired him for not having a degree, and later invited him to provide financial support and programming guidance to their AM/FM/TV station.

I also enjoyed reading about the different people the author talked about in this book. The author is blessed with the gift of men, and I believe it's one of the best gifts one can receive in life's journey. He met with different people who impacted his career and life greatly. I enjoyed reading the appreciation letters his listeners sent to him to express the joy his program gave them. The author did a great job of writing all he can remember while working at a radio station, a TV station, and his transition into a copywriter.

I find nothing to dislike about this book. The book was written in clear language and included pictures of some of the events described in it. The author has a good sense of humour, and this made the book more interesting to read. The story of the monkey he once owned and believed to have led a rebellion in the zoo is one of many that cracked me up.

The book is professionally edited and well-written. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars because it is well deserving of it. I recommend this book to young adults, history students, men and women of the press, and all readers of well-written memoirs.

Monkey on a Turntable
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 80%

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

Monkey on a Turntable" by Ken Keller is a book that recalled with life use to be before advances in technology. Your review motivated my interest to read this book.
FunkyFlowerLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

What an interesting title! The gift of men, is unquestionably possessed by the author. It appears that some people he encountered had a big impact on both his personal and professional life. The review's clarity and organization made it enjoyable to read. fantastic review
The love of your life is 'YOU'
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

The author did a great job in putting his life journey into writing, though the book title doesn't depict the story. Fascinating review
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Roots and Wings by Lili-Ann Kriegler
2022 Reading Goal: 500
2022 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Ceeco2002 »

It is an honor to gain a little bit of insight into the author's past life and lessons he learned while growing. Thanks for a detailed review.
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2022 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stevenmusk »

It would be interesting to answer one of the many questions that i ask myself a lot which is how was the world without technology but this book might have these answers and i look forward to reading it.
Famzi Ken
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Famzi Ken »

Your review started with words of wisdom that piqued my interest. I liked that. The book also seems interesting with firsthand historical records of information and communication technology. I will like to try it out sometime. Great review.
Mercy Sos
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos.html
Latest Review: Inspector Mage by Aleese Hughes
Reading Device: 1400697484
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Mercy Sos »

Each sentence I read in your review made me wanting to read more. I haven't read the book but by your review I know it's going to be a good read. Thanks for being honest in your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”