Review of A Promise Made, A Promise Kept

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of A Promise Made, A Promise Kept

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Promise Made, A Promise Kept" by Frank J. DiMaio DC, MS.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Promise Made, A Promise Kept by Frank J. DiMaio DC, MS, is a non-fictional book narrating the author's struggles over the loss of his wife, Judith, to breast cancer.

The tale covers the first day he met Judith, their experiences together, the wedding, the early stages of her illness, and the pre and post-surgery circumstances. The author teaches other husbands who are currently experiencing what he went through (and is still going through) how to survive the damage of losing a wife.

The author also reveals his wife's final wish on her deathbed and his promise to keep to it. Eventually, the author experiences a lot of 'monkeys in his wrench' in his quest to fulfill the promise. Does he let these stop him from honoring his words? Or does he come through in the end?

Frank J. DiMaio's writing technique is unique. His distinct description allows the reader to feel every emotion he tries to express. The reader can feel everything, from the love between him and Judith to the sorrow and pain of losing her. This writing style leaves the reader in a puddle of emotions, as it is a lot to feel and contain. At the same time, it is beautiful to feel. These emotions are relatable to anyone who has lost a loved one. To those who haven't lost a loved one yet (which is probably unlikely), it will be a fresh experience. Either way, readers will feel sympathy and pity for the author.

A Promise Made, A Promise Kept was summarized into different events, mainly the important ones that'd help the reader learn the necessary lessons. Much more than what the author shared must have transpired during Judith's illness. However, the writer's ability to gather the crucial scenarios to drive home his point was admirable. Otherwise, there would have been plenty of events and possibly the sharing of unnecessary details.

The author's talk of journalling as part of what helped him through was fantastic. In explaining it, he brought out the perks of journalling generally and how words expressed could become the vocalist of our emotions. This would encourage anyone reading this book to try out journaling.

A Promise Made, A Promise Kept is an amazing read. I recommend it to husbands with wives suffering from terminal diseases; they will learn how to deal with the challenges. Wives with husbands who have cancer can also try out this book. It will also be a good read for anyone who has lost a loved one, as the book will help them learn how to deal with loss. There are no grammatical errors and nothing to dislike. Therefore, I rate it five out of five stars.

A Promise Made, A Promise Kept
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
FunkyFlowerLady
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

I like how the author starts from the very beginning of his relationship with his wife. It tells the readers that his love is about more than just the disease, and they will learn more about her as a person rather than just a dying person. I'd love to know what his wife's last wish was for him. Intriguing and inspiring, your review does it complete justice. Amazing!
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I admire the fact that he doesn't let the obstacles he faces deter him from fulfilling the last wishes of his wife. It would have been very easy to just give up on them after she passed away but he didn't.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Losing a loved one is tough especially watching the person go through pains, it's sad. I really would love to read this book, it's something everyone should read to help educate people going through loss. Thanks for the review, it was well summarized and I enjoyed reading it.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

This kind of story always touched my heart. Losing a loved one can be very sad. It reminds us that we only have life and death on this earth. I want to know how Frank deals with his emotions until the end. You did write a very nice review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”