Review of Uninvited

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review of Uninvited

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Uninvited" by Marjorie Bosworth.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

All it takes is one attack to ruin our illusion of safety. For Marjorie Bosworth, it was when a huge, naked man broke into her home. Marjorie was only taking care of Izzie, her foster daughter, and making sure she was using the internet safely when she found Ted. She was not looking for love, but she found it, got married, and moved to Texas, US. However, she soon needed to move back to England.

After a long search and some unfortunate events, Marjorie and Ted finally found their dream retirement home, and it was complete with a barn and a lot of greenery, which reminded her of her big, beautiful Texas home. Unknown to them, their dreamy life was about to take a drastic turn at the peak of the 2020 lockdown when there was hardly anyone to save them from the lunatic who broke into their home. How were they able to survive that night of terror?

Marjorie began her narration in Uninvited with how she and Ted met, which gave me a background story to form my impressions of their love and life together. Her inclusion of some of their relatives, albeit briefly, made her and Ted feel more relatable, further solidifying a good base for the later part of the book. The author’s narration was simple but vivid, using a first-person narrative style. It was easy to feel as though she was narrating the event to me in person. The pictures she included of Ted’s injuries and the broken doors and glass made it all seem even more real.

While I appreciated the simple narration and a glimpse into the author’s peaceful life before the attack, I have to say that the book was too simplistic. At first, the narration felt unemotional and not well thought out, as the author simply brushed by how she met Ted and their life as newlyweds quickly and matter-of-factly. Then later parts of the narration seemed poorly edited but with a good amount of emotion. This is not a book that you can immerse yourself in. You will, perhaps, feel sympathy for the horror the author had to go through, but her words do not relay her experiences and emotions as profoundly as she must have felt them.

I am unsure what audience to recommend Uninvited to. The book is a short and simple telling of the author’s horrifying experience, and it was only towards the end that she infused some emotion. I might add that this piece of literature might have helped her healing process, but I did not find any inspiration or lessons to learn from her direct and unnatural narrative style. I would only recommend this book to the author’s friends and family who might want to know the first-hand account of the events of that night. If you enjoy short accounts of people overcoming a distressing night, you might also enjoy the book. However, considering all the issues I explained and the poor editing, I can only rate this book 2 out of 5.

Uninvited
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

The cover and title captured my attention at first. It sounds like there was alot of missed potential like it's a good story just on a wobbly foundation. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”