Review of From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MinhDoan
Favorite Book: The Painted Bird
Currently Reading: Modern Man in Search of a Soul
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minhdoan.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Review of From Drift to SHIFT

Post by MinhDoan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller is a non-fiction book that illustrates how change may lead to contentment and fulfillment in both personal and professional life. This book features interviews with numerous successful people and their decisions that lead to success. In some circumstances, the person transitioned after discovering their career or way of life didn't give them a sense of purpose. In other instances, life-threatening accidents or sickness created an unwelcome transformation upon the person, irreversibly altering their physique. Whatever the cause, it was a spark for them to lead the life they do now. Ms. Miller also sprinkles personal stories from her life and experiences across these parts, evaluating how specific changes contributed to her success in leading a fulfilling life.

There are four sections in the book. Each section focuses on the many stages of the change-making progression. Through carefully chosen examples of people or groups from various backgrounds and religious affiliations who have or are currently experiencing difficulties ranging from the physical to the emotional to the spiritual, the author underscores her argument. The common theme among all the stories is to persuade the reader to look past the difficulties they are now facing and see the opportunity they offer to lead a happy and meaningful life.

The writing was what I appreciated most about this book. The author avoids the typical technical jargon that might be perplexing in self-help books in favor of clear, plain language that is simple to understand. Anyone may read this book and comprehend the subject matter clearly, regardless of background. Additionally, each chapter includes a review section about the key ideas readers should understand before moving on to the subsequent chapter. I also enjoyed the appendix, which has additional details that complement the stories in each chapter. It is ideal for readers who wish to learn more.

The one thing I didn't enjoy about the book was that Ms. Miller seemed to start with too broad a scope. She said her stories could benefit readers in all facets of our lives, including our relationships. I had doubts about whether one could approach a relationship with a person the same way one would an inanimate object, such as a job. However, this negative aspect is a minor critique, considering the book focuses on all behavior rather than just relationships or the workplace.

Due to its universal influence, I give this book a score of 4 out of 4. I wholeheartedly suggest the book to every type of person because the stories of the individuals the author highlights reflect our lives as we all drift and shift toward a life of purpose, pleasure, and fulfillment.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”