Review of Fortunate Turn of Events

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maduabuchi Eze
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Released on Licence by J. G. Barwell

Review of Fortunate Turn of Events

Post by Maduabuchi Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fortunate Turn of Events" by Manny Fulsom.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some people think life is over for them because they've made horrible mistakes or lived dangerous lifestyles. Some people think they can never realize their dreams because of their financial status or family background. Some people are on the verge of giving up on their belief system. Some people never had one at all. To these people, I recommend Fortunate Turn of Events by Manny Fulsom. I hope that they will learn one or two things from the author's story.

Faced with serious health challenges, fake friends, a turbulent family, and disillusionment, Manny thinks his life is set to roll towards a dark tunnel. Somehow, he finds favour with "Divine Providence," and his life becomes ever better afterwards. It will interest you to read about those fortunate turns of events.

Fortunate Turn of Events is a sequel to the author's first book, Stay Alive. In this book, the author occasionally references some of the issues explored in the first book. Hence, I recommend that readers first go through the first book so they can better understand the message in this book.

First, I am grateful to the author for being courageous and open enough to relate to readers his life experiences (including the darkest sides of his life) and the miracle that changed his life for the better. For example, readers will learn about how the author's mental health was almost ruined by the bullying from his mother's boyfriends. His story empowered me to fight my demons.

The inspirational quotes from the Bible and such notable figures as Dave Ramsey, Kanye West, J. R. R. Tolkien, and C. S. Lewis, among others, were helpful to me. Readers will also get to read the author's opinions on issues like the date of Christ's birth, high school friends, and self-confidence, among others.

The author's word choices are simple and direct. He maintained a humble, confident, and sincere tone throughout the book, and these helped me see through his heart. I was able to connect with his predicament and walk to victory. I found one grammatical error in this book. This suggests that it was professionally edited.

However, I didn't like the abrupt shifts in discourse in some sections of this book, especially when the present discourse was yet to be given a logical conclusion. Again, I think some contents are irrelevant to the thematic preoccupations of this book. For example, I couldn't figure out what role the section titled "Myth Busting" played in the thematic development of this book.

Overall, this is an insightful handbook. I am glad to rate Fortunate Turn of Events four out of five stars because of the above positive points. I removed a star from the rating because of the negative concerns I raised in the above paragraph.

Fortunate Turn of Events
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sugar Rush
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugar-rush.html
Latest Review: Kitchen Science Experiments for Kids by ABC Press

Post by Sugar Rush »

More than anything, this books seems like one that would give hope to people who have lost hope. I am a firm believer in the sole fact that life can always take a turn for the better any at moment. I am not the best fit for this book but I hope people who do see it and read it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”