Official Review: Barbelo by Riaan Booysen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: Official Review: Barbelo by Riaan Booysen

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Great review! The Bible isn't that hard to tackle, considering that we read about scientific facts that clearly goes against everything we've learned in the Bible. I'm hardly a big Christian, but a book like this won't make me turn a blind eye to the Big Man no matter what it says and proves. Scientific facts (billions of years ago) aren't exactly concrete either.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

great review Thanks. I will add to my TBR pile and will give it a try .
signed
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by signed »

Thanks for the review
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

Great review.

I have one thing to say when it comes to religion and books like this. They're always contentious. Not all people see the world the same way and the subject has always been debated and always will be.

I downloaded the book and thank the author for making it free for today. I'm going to read it with an open mind. I'm not a Christian and I'm not looking for a book to discredit Christ. I just want to know what other people think on this subject.

"If you want to keep your friends, there are three things you never discuss with them: Religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin." (Linus of the Peanuts comic strip). :)
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

I am a christian, and downloaded this book out of curiosity - I find it intriguing to see how others think. However, I quickly came to the conclusion, that the author is somewhat deluded in his new(ish) belief system. He claims that Christianity/Bible, etc., is all of faith, we can't prove it, or whatever. Granted, I would fully endorse that, although there are scientific/historic "proofs" etc., it really is all of faith. I give him that freely. However, he fails to acknowledge that his interpretations are really just interpretations, opinion, etc - he is accepting these claims based on opinion (or faith, if you will...) rather than validly proving his claims beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Chatfemme
Favorite Book: Les Misérables
Currently Reading: Soul Collage
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chatfemme.html
Latest Review: Deceitful Survival by LC Lee

Post by Chatfemme »

I have always been interested in learning others views on Jesus, Christianity and religion in general. This sounds like a book that I want to investigate. Your review was good because it gave an overview of what the book was about without adding your own opinion as to the correctness of the author's viewpoint. Because you did not tell us about most of the theories espoused in the book, I have to go and read the book myself to find out what the author suggests as the truth (or truthes). Then I can develop my own opinions about the theories in the book by looking further into the ideas set forth in the book.

Another intriguing aspect is that the book is a novel with a bibliography. I have read other historical novels where I could find bibliographies and suggested reading on the author's website or through a companion book, but I don't remember reading a novel with a bibliography as a part of the book. Very interesting!
Ethan Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Odonata The Flying Jewel of Maiden Grass Pond by Barbara Gervais Ciancimino

Post by Ethan Lindeque »

This is a well written review, but I do not think this book is for me. I find it strange that the author implements such views against Christianity, though.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”