Review of The Plans He Has For Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Onyinyechi Orji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Dead Children's Playground by Dawn C Crouch

Review of The Plans He Has For Me

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Plans He Has For Me" by Rose Ann Forte.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Excessive consumption of alcohol is, has been, and will probably always be one of the biggest issues facing mankind. People drink for any reason and most often end up drunk. Most of them started with little tumblers but have now reached the stage of addiction. Many find it increasingly difficult to retrace their steps to become free of this vice. This is the problem that Rose Ann Forte sets out to solve in her book titled The Plans He Has For Me.

The book is a daily devotional and is geared towards helping alcoholics turn away from their addictions over twelve weeks. There is a message for each day, totaling 84 messages in 8 weeks. It guides and counsels on each of these days, advising on ways to resist the temptation of 'just one drink' and other forms similar to this. It also instructs on what to do in place of drinking, like rebuilding failed or failing relationships with people, or discovering what passion one has that one could channel one's focus and energy on. This is done by using the Bible as a foundation for such teachings, which brings me to one of the reasons why I like the book. Each of the daily messages has a scripture that acts as a basis for the message of that day.

These scriptures are well chosen and are used to make a powerful impression on the mind of the reader. I believe that readers might not have taken the messages seriously without the addition of these Bible passages. They might have thought it to be another self-help book that reflects another person's opinion on this issue. By using the Bible, a book highly respected and regarded as a symbol of truth, the author ensures that the readers will not take it as flunky.

The religious nature of the book is another feather in the cap of this book. Religion has always been one of the tools used to reduce the participation of people in vices, such as the one discussed in the book and a few others as well. It is highly regarded in most societies, and the author capitalizes on this, being a Christian herself, to make sure that the proper attention is paid to the messages within the book.

The book, reflective of its Christian nature, doesn't attempt to castigate the reader who may be involved in the vices discussed in it. Rather, it is conciliatory and acknowledges the difficulties that would be faced by those who attempt to turn away from alcohol. The reader doesn't feel condemned, but rather elated that there is hope for him or her. I think this is by far the most laudable feature of the book.

Overall, it is a very good book, and I would love to recommend it to anyone who desires to change from his or her alcoholic ways and move into a new life. The book would be the perfect guide on such a journey of change. I would rate the book at four out of four for the level of impact I think it would have on people who are involved in the drinking habit. It is a carefully edited book with no errors and nothing to dislike.

The Plans He Has For Me
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”