Review of When Then Became Now

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emmanuel Maduabuchi Eze
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: The ABCs of Trees by Scott A. Zanon

Review of When Then Became Now

Post by Emmanuel Maduabuchi Eze »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Then Became Now" by Monique Rardin Richardson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

John and Monique, two young children from "cold" family backgrounds, are connected by fate at Island High School, Alameda, California, USA. They quickly become a source of strength for each other. They would take part-time jobs, hang out with friends and family members, and promise each other the utmost loyalty and devotion. Their future seems to be bright until cracks so uncontrollable, so ferocious, and so cruel begin to develop. From the ashes of the devastation comes the story of When Then Became Now.

This is a memoir written by Monique Rardin Richardson to celebrate John Robert Reposa, her childhood boyfriend and hero. The account was so raw and emotive that I felt the agony of the crushed soul and the bleeding heart. This story was also written to help John's family appreciate a man so imperfect and yet so humane.

I was impressed by Monique's exceptional narrative prowess. She gave life to every word in this book. She also did a nice job with character development and was meticulous and consistent while doing so. I was able to gain a deeper understanding of the reasons behind the actions and emotions of the characters in this book. For example, I was able to understand the source of Monique's negative energy and mindset before John showed up in her life.

I found the role played by Matt to be symbolic. He was there when fate "built" and "looted" John and Monique. The central message in this memoir is eternal. Please pick up this book and find out what it is. I liked how the author developed the plot of this memoir. The story started from the end and was narrated downward. The word choices made in this book were appropriate. They give readers access to the minds of the characters.

The author titled each chapter in this book. This should help readers figure out from the onset the thematic preoccupation of each chapter. The chapters were concise. This helped to sustain my interest till I finished the book. The themes explored in this book were mortifying. There is a raw display of true friendship, devotion, loss, addiction, mourning, loneliness, and disillusionment.

I didn't like that some details were missing in this book. The author did not give clear-cut reasons behind her mother's weird behaviour and dangerous lifestyle. There was no explanation for why Ray, Monique's father, gave her a ring. There was no explanation for why John remained homeless for over thirty years.

There were some unanswered questions in this book. Why did Roni, John's mother, abandon her children? Why didn't Roni attend John's "Celebration of Life?" Why did Roni later show up at Monique's house only to disappear again? Given his financial constraints, where and how did John obtain the Monte Carlo? In addition, I found some grammatical errors in this book. However, the overall "clean, smooth" pages suggest that this book has been professionally edited.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It lost a star because of the negative concerns I highlighted in the above paragraphs. I can't rate it lower because of the aforementioned positive points. When Then Became Now is recommended for people suffering from any form of addiction. It is an excellent recommendation for those who are hurting from the loss of loved ones. This book will resonate with those who have experienced true love and devotion. Adults looking for a captivating literary piece can consider picking up this book.

When Then Became Now
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Mmeso Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmeso-goodness.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Mmeso Goodness »

The storyline of this book is intriguing. However, I wonder , is this a fiction or nonfiction book? The themes in this book are valuable and worthy to note.
I can't wait to read the book.
Great review you have here.
Kudos!
Mmeso Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmeso-goodness.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Mmeso Goodness »

The storyline of this book is intriguing. However, I wonder , is this a fiction or nonfiction book? The themes in this book are valuable and worthy to note.
I can't wait to read the book.
Great review you have here.
Kudos!
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

I'm not really a big fan of memoirs because they can be a lot of them with the same style of story and lessons to be learnt. It's nice you enjoyed this book and came up with this review but I may not be interested anytime soon. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”