Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Not available anymore »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With a sneak peek at the front cover of BlueWater Walkabout, I was aware that it was an adventure book. The memoir Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin describes a risky voyage that Tina and her family undertook.

With her husband, Peter, and two sons, Tina embarks on a sailing trip to Africa. She is an adventurous woman who adores travel. She had previously only read about Africa in novels, but the thought of encountering black women and women carrying jugs on their heads excited her and made her want to visit the continent. The entire family readily agreed to embark on this vacation because Tina's husband, Peter, enjoys traveling as well. They set out on the lengthy journey, which would take them from South Africa to the Caribbean.

I truly appreciate the facts Tina Dreffin provided about how she met her husband and their relationship. I believe it's amazing that she incorporated a lot of information about her family and herself and didn't just focus on their experience in the memoir. She had experienced sexual assault not once, not twice, but three times before she met her husband and fell in love. The first time was by her college boyfriend, and the second time was when she was looking for a job and the so-called interviewer drugged and assaulted her. She was told not to include the circumstances in her book, but she persisted and spoke up anyway, which I believe was bold of her.

I was emotionally drawn to this book. I could feel Tina's anguish, especially when she learned that her baby girl had died in utero from the toxicity of antimalarial drugs. She was even unaware that she was pregnant. Tina is incredibly resilient despite her breakdown. I appreciate how Peter supported her through it all and how she was able to forgive herself in the end. The book's inclusion of their errors is another aspect I admire. I appreciate that the author was honest about how their money was stolen, how she lost her first child, and how she mistakenly thought chloroquine was acetaminophen. The fact that she mentioned both the good and the ugly makes reading about her life enjoyable. I learned a lot from her experience. She also discussed having breast cancer.

Nothing about the book bothered me. It is a masterfully written memoir with ups and downs as well as bravery stories. The author's encouragement for readers to embark on journeys and pursue their interests is another thing I appreciate. I also applaud the author for including actual photos from the event in this book. I love how she included images; other memoirs rarely do. It made reading the book incredibly engaging. I give the book four out of four stars because it is exceptionally edited and no errors were discovered.

I recommend this book to everyone who wants to embark on an adventure but is afraid to do so, or to anyone afraid to pursue a long-held desire. I also recommend it to women who have experienced sexual assault, perinatal loss, or cancer.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hannah Mae Fabro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mae-fabro.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Hannah Mae Fabro »

I also reviewed this book and I could totally agree with your review. I liked how this book is so insightful and informative. Thank you for your review.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Tina is my favorite character, she can subdue emotional pressure and is adamant about unwanted advice. Great review.
Elendu Clement Ekechukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-clement-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Elendu Clement Ekechukwu »

I love how Tina was able to give us a full version of her story. She was a very brave lady. The adventures just made me take this book. I can't wait to start reading.
Wash William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wash-william.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Wash William »

Forgetting hour past, especially as an adult who has had a rough past. Tina is an interesting character to read about. Finding solace through a wild adventure. Thank you for the well-detailed review.
David Chijindu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Play Golf Better Faster Handbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-chijindu.html
Latest Review: Finding Our True Identity by Honey Dee

Post by David Chijindu »

I reviewed this book as well, and I completely concurred with your assessment. I appreciated how deep and educational this book is. I appreciate your review. I reviewed this book as well, and I completely concurred with your assessment. I appreciated how deep and educational this book is. I appreciate your review.
Abu_Aisha1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

I haven't read this book, however, the reviews I have read about the book clearly show that it's very educational and insightful. Thank you for this amazing review.
Lay-cee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lay-cee.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Lay-cee »

I like how well detailed your review is, Tina has to be my favourite character from your review, she represents a strong woman and a fighter, I'm sure imher experience with sexual assault must have been really hard for her to heal from and I am glad she found true love in the end, Ignorance also led to her using the wrong drugs. Your review is well-detailed too. Great review well-done
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

It must be devastating for one's child to die in utero. I love how honest you are and how detailed you have analysed this book. I would love to read this book soon. Thank you for sharing this review with us after reading the book.
Donald Kelvin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judith-chinwe.html
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd

Post by Donald Kelvin »

I'm currently reading this book and I agree with the reviewer; the cover was the first thing that drew me. The sea adventure in the book and Tina's experiences with the family at the national park are all interesting to read about.
Latest Review: High Wire by Kam Majd
Larabs Josh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-michael.html
Latest Review: The Aglaril Cycle by Rich Feitelberg

Post by Larabs Josh »

This is an inspiring book. I recommend it to everyone, especially women who are going through any form of abuses.
Natalie Sheph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-sheph.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Natalie Sheph »

I completely agree with the author that the coexistence of good and bad makes life enjoyable. Thank you for your nice review.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:

:snooty:
Natalie Sheph wrote: 13 Oct 2022, 12:13 I completely agree with the author that the coexistence of good and bad makes life enjoyable. Thank you for your nice review.
Thank you for reading my review :D
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:

Abu_Aisha1 wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 05:34 I haven't read this book, however, the reviews I have read about the book clearly show that it's very educational and insightful. Thank you for this amazing review.
Thank you for taking your time to read my review and share a comment
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:

:D
Davey Chijindu wrote: 11 Oct 2022, 04:06 I reviewed this book as well, and I completely concurred with your assessment. I appreciated how deep and educational this book is. I appreciate your review. I reviewed this book as well, and I completely concurred with your assessment. I appreciated how deep and educational this book is. I appreciate your review.
Thanks for your kind words

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”