Review of Bones & Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Review of Bones & Me

Post by Peace Odii »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bones & Me" by Thomas Neviaser, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bones & Me by Thomas Neviaser is a non-fiction narrative of Thomas's life and career as an orthopedic surgeon. Although not exactly his biography, Bones & Me shares an intimate part of Thomas Neviaser's life and career as a medical doctor. Born in 1940, Thomas was brought up in Washington, DC, along with his two older brothers. Their father was a doctor, and not just any doctor, an orthopedic surgeon. Interestingly, his three sons had become orthopedic surgeons in one way or another. Thomas, in particular, had documented his cherished experiences in this book, Bones & Me. After many years of being a medical doctor and treating over “100,000 patients in the practice of orthopedic surgery," Bones & Me is the perfect read to get a glimpse of that personality behind the white coat.

The introduction at the book's beginning propelled my curiosity to discover what secrets the book held. More than just discussing his biography, the author intended this book conveys his deep feelings, thoughts, and experiences with his patients. Even from the “Table of contents," readers can have a glimpse of what to expect from the book. Thomas Neviaser included every detail he considered necessary in the narrative. He stated his fears, like when he was scared of being assigned to the emergency room during his first rotation in the internship. He also stated his faults, embarrassments, victories, and success. Based on the introduction, the author kept to his word by making this book a ride through his medical journey. These were the positive aspects of the book for me.

Thomas Neviaser's life in medical school was, to me, fascinating. Thomas Neviaser was open enough to discuss some disapproving changes he encountered as a medical doctor and pleasing changes. To not be mistaken, Thomas gave details about his personal life. The book centered on his life as an orthopedic surgeon, and his family was a big part of it all.

The only dislikable part of this book might be the endless explanation of some medical procedures. It is believable that the author included these details to enlighten the readers better, but it could also make readers lose interest in the book. The editorial aspect was also not fully attended to regarding the book presentation. Readers might find several errors while reading.

Consequently, I will consider rating this book three out of four stars. The book's content would easily catch the fancy of readers who enjoy biographical and medical books, especially one that has to do with a very demanding career.

Bones & Me
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”