Review of Essays

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of Essays

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Essays" by Anthony Joseph Hopkins.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Essays by Anthony Joseph Hopkins is a compilation of different Bible verses and their meaning to people. The Bible verses were cited from the books of both the Old and New Testaments of the KJV Bible. The interpretation of each Bible verse(s) was the author's understanding of his experiences. Anthony Joseph Hopkins shared his personal experiences from the time he was an unbeliever until he joined the Christian faith.

In Essays, each verse explained holds a significant value like love, compassion, forgiveness, redemption, maturity, and sundry. But the explanation of the biblical concepts was mainly opinionated rather than factual. I state this because the biblical verses were not properly quoted or not quoted at all in some instances. A reader who does not have access to the Bible would find it difficult to understand this book and might even consider the content false. This does not speak positively about the book.

The author, in many instances, also diverted from the main topic of the writing into irrelevant information. According to the table of contents, these essays were meant to be about how every verse discussed relates to everyone. But the author often centered the discussion on only himself and his experiences.

The author discusses many personal problems in the book, like depression, suicide, and drug and physical abuse. He also shared his challenges in handling finances and relationships. I didn't have much problem while he discussed he currently has a mental illness known as “schizoid affective disorder." But in Chapter 17, he seems to have implied some relationships with spirits, and I thought maybe I shouldn't fully trust his opinions. I wasn't comfortable. Based on all these, I do not trust the credibility of this writing. The content in this book might create heresy and even imbalance.

In the book, there was a continuous repetition of the chapters' contents. For instance, in a chapter composed of six paragraphs, six of them were repeated about four times in the same chapter. This was not done once but in several chapters. Also, the grammatical and typographical errors in the book were many. The excessive use of exclamation marks is one of the many errors in the book. Except in informal writing, the exclamation mark is to be used once, after a sentence. But in this writing, the exclamation mark was exaggerated and overused.

My rating of Essays is one out of four stars. I do not recommend this book to any specific audience. But any interested reader can find it suitable to learn something new about the Christian faith.

Essays
View: on Bookshelves
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

Anyone who wishes to learn about the Christian faith will undoubtedly find this to be a really informative read. Great review. Well done.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I love the honesty in your review and this book definitely doesn't sound like my cup of tea or something I would be interested in. Your review was immaculately written!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”