Review of Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Deborah Dodd
Favorite Book: Killing Time
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah-dodd.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Review of Bluewater Walkabout

Post by Deborah Dodd »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa by Tina Dreffin is her memoir about her adventures as her family sailed around Africa after 9/11 and to the Bahamas to head back home. Tina has to handle the fear of the unknown and the anticipation of new wonders and learn to let go of her teenage boys. She talks about her childhood and her husband, Peter. Her young experiences with male chauvinist men help her make the decisions that lead her to her husband. Tina describes the synchronistic moments that popped up and made Peter appear as an old friend and soul mate. As she told her story, I remembered the events of my meeting with my husband and began to see the wonder of it all. The reader can't help but go back into their memories of childhood and magic moments of their own lives while reading the story. She describes the trials of losing a baby and her date rape. She gives good advice on how to handle these bumps in the road of life. Her experiences remind us to take life by the horns and relish it with an open heart and mind.

I was surprised by how much I loved the story. Tina's life is exciting and makes the reader want to drop everything and go on their adventures. Her upbringing isn't much different than most. Her outlook reminds me of the late 60s and early 70s and how the day's youth explored their environment and expanded their lives. I especially enjoyed the way she explained Caterham traveling across the ocean and the sea life her family encountered.

This reader doesn't have anything negative to say about the story. The author's writing style was an easy read, and she did well in explaining her feelings, the wildlife, and the adventures that cropped up.

This reader gives this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars as it is written excellently with few spelling mistakes. The use of similes and metaphors skillfully adds to the story's imagery. The author describes the African animals with such enthusiasm and incredible feelings that this reader felt one was right there in the jeep with the family on the safari.

Any reader will find this an enjoyable read though some words might need a dictionary for those who don't have a high grammar/vocabulary level. I recommend it to everyone that loves nature, drama, the sea, family, and adventure. Be prepared for one's memories to be thrust into their minds and hearts. This reader found a few swear words that are not used excessively and help with the storyline.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”