Review of The Splendour of a Tear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Itz Savaga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Review of The Splendour of a Tear

Post by Itz Savaga »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Splendour of a Tear" by Bridget Bonner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this memoir, Bridget narrated her experience of how searching for a purpose led to many unpredictable experiences. After serving as a voluntary midwife in Ecuador, Bridget found a new sense of self and faith. Before returning to her hometown in Australia, she visited her sponsored child in Peru. Bridget battled with her feelings of helplessness as she sought to do something to help the poor and homeless kids on the street. A meeting with Pastor Luis Diaz dramatically changed the course of her life. She was introduced to twenty-six girls who stayed in a home in Lima headed by the pastor. This introduction began her seven-year stay in San Juan de Lurigancho, working with the lonely street children. Bridget returned to Australia and tried to raise funds for the home through donations and a job as a phlebotomist. She met Greg, and his support led to tremendous fundraising. Romance was sparked between the new friends, and Bridget’s influence led Greg to a life in Christ. A shocking revelation was made at some point, and the girls confided in Bridget with their encounters. Find out what this revelation is and how it impacted the story.

The Splendor of a Tear by Bridget Bonner is a very inspiring story. I loved that the author vulnerably shared her thoughts and experiences, which involved sacrifice, risk, and perseverance. The story inspired readers to have all these traits and seek a greater meaning to life. The story did not fall short of drama and thrill. The addition of these elements helped maintain interest and intrigue. The inclusion of comic relief eased the tension at certain points in the book, making the situation lighter and less heart-wrenching. I loved how the story created a new perspective on life. It took us out of our individual and collective confines to reveal what happens around the world and let us experience the struggles and experiences of others. The story gave an in-depth insight into the culture of the various indigenous people the author came across in her journey. It fully describes how basic things are handled, carrying the reader along with a lucid imagination. The book was professionally edited, as I found just one error in it.

Away from the fact that there was some unnecessary information in certain parts of the book that only seemed to make the story drag for longer, I found nothing to dislike about it.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was a satisfactory read, and I will not hold the part that contained unnecessary information against it.

I recommend this book to all lovers of memoirs and philanthropic acts. It has so much to offer and leaves you with a desire to learn more about the different topics it brought to the fore.

The Splendour of a Tear
View: on Bookshelves
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

In this memoir, Bridget narrated her experience of how searching for a purpose led to many unpredictable experiences. Great book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”