Review of Gin on the Rox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cher432
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher432.html
Latest Review: Untold Stories Hidden Truths by Rahul K Maharaj
2022 Reading Goal: 10
2022 Goal Completion: 420%

Review of Gin on the Rox

Post by Cher432 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gin on the Rox" by V.S. Griffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gin on the Rox by V.S. Griffin is a memoir written by the author about her life experiences. She recounts her interactions with her adopted mother, who was actually her grandmother, her biological mother, her romantic partners, her faith, and so on. She recounts the good, the bad, and the ugly of her life, as well as how she overcame various challenges. Throughout her story, a sense of hope and perseverance pervades, encouraging readers to never give up no matter what.

I admired the author's candor about various relationships in her life, particularly with her mother. Society frequently expects us to cover up for those we consider to be family and never say the bad along with the good. As someone who grew up in such a society, I admire those who go against the grain and speak the truth as they see it. The author demonstrates in her book that families are complex, and what are known as generational curses persist because people do not confront the past.

I also liked how honest the author was about her flaws and mistakes, and how she learned to live with them. It was fascinating to read about her experiences navigating relationships in her life. She was honest about what others had done to her, but she also admitted to making mistakes in those situations. I enjoyed the photographs at the end of each chapter. It was nice to meet the people who have had an impact on the author's life in various ways.

I cherished the pearls of wisdom scattered throughout the story. The one that spoke to me the most was that you can forgive someone but still end your relationship with them, even if it is familial. Because of blood ties, many people feel powerless to end a relationship with someone who has hurt them. The author's point of view that forgiving someone does not imply condoning them was eye-opening.

There was nothing I didn't like about the book. The author came across as tough but fair, not only to herself but also to the people in her life. She was able to learn lessons from her experiences, and I am grateful she shared them with the rest of the world. I admired her positive outlook on life because she acknowledged the many good things that happened to her and relied on things like her faith in God to get her through.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was a wonderful story about overcoming the odds. While reading the book, I didn't notice a single typo, spelling, or grammar error, so I believe it was exceptionally well edited. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy reading memoirs and seeking encouragement, as it contains many helpful nuggets of wisdom.

Gin on the Rox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”