Review of The Day I Went to Hell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of The Day I Went to Hell

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Day I Went to Hell" by T.L.Grundy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hell is a popular religious concept, especially among Christians. It is seen as a place of damnation for all evil souls. Throughout history, the concept of hell has taken different meanings in different places and systems. This book embodies a different concept of hell, leaving you in suspense and sending cold shivers down your spine. It disobeys logic and reaffirms the promises of God and the Holy Bible. Welcome to T.L. Grundy's "Hell."

The Day I Went to Hell was a non-fictional account of a supernatural event encountered by T.L. Grundy. What was supposed to be a regular happy trip to California with his friend, Kayla, turned out to be the most unforgettable day in his life. A few life-changing hours set his life into a new bearing, a second chance, and a start to redemption.

First off, this book was plain horrifying. Aside from being religiously inclined, the writer did more to project the horror aspects than to motivate me. I enjoyed the author's ability to draw me into this book. On several occasions, he posed questions like, "are you with me?" He was constantly checking to see that I was giving complete attention to his details. It worked, as I never took my eyes off the book from start to finish. The petite volume also helped me consume the book's content in one sitting.

The writing style was stylishly poetic. A few words mean different things when read in different contexts. Sentences like "...I had to die to know if I had died" gave off a poetic flair both literally and figuratively. Also, the writer simplified the story in the best way possible — no technical or sophisticated terminologies were used. T.L. Grundy spared no expense in lavishing this book with Bible verses, which complemented the story.

T.L. Grundy ensured he stuck to the core theme and message he intended to convey. Christian readers would benefit immensely from the lessons. The author also focused on his journey and all the details that happened along the way. Also, I would commend his descriptive prowess as settings and characters were described excellently.

One off-putting aspect of this book was that I considered the story's conclusion highly unsatisfactory. The writer argued that his experiences were not drug-induced hallucinations and insisted his experiences were valid. However, I had second thoughts about that when I finished reading. He got away from the supposed "eternal highway loop" after basically trekking for a while, got into a fire truck, and went to an eatery. Nothing much was explained on how the "strange" highway returned to a "normal" highway — not even the aftermath of the whole event was discussed. The second issue was with the inconsistency in capitalizing "Bible." I had to mark all the lower-case occurrences as errors as a result. This capitalization inconsistency smeared the editing.

Considering this book's positive and negative aspects, I'd give it a 3 out of 4. I'd recommend The Day I Went to Hell to Christian readers. Beyond being scary, it could serve as a reminder and warning of the consequences of sin.

The Day I Went to Hell
View: on Bookshelves
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Thank you for your honest review. The story sounds horrifying and informative at the same time. Good thing the author was reminded about redemption, but the whole thing sounds confusing. I don't like the confusion between reality and fiction, and I will have to pass.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”