Review of Death of the Elephant

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JonesLeeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesleeh.html
Latest Review: The Negotiator’s Cross by Kenneth Dekleva

Review of Death of the Elephant

Post by JonesLeeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death of the Elephant" by Gil Grossi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I read this book’s title, I initially thought it was a children’s genre about an African elephant that ruled the savannah. But then, I refer to its description and found it is a political volume. “This should be a metaphorical title,” I thought.

Gil Grossi begins by laying out the difference in numbers between the Republican Party and Democratic Party. He shares his thoughts by saying that besides Trump’s victory, he believes no Republican would ever have secured the presidential seat. Furthermore, we learn of the contrasting nature of the 2016 and 2020 American elections. Some states that were Trump’s strongholds in 2016 turned in favor of the Democratic Party in the recent election.

Democrats use a donkey as their party symbol, while Republicans use an elephant as theirs. Donald Trump appears to be the glue holding the Republican Party together. In his absence, can the party thrive? With the Democrats, they win the youth by assuring them cancellation of student loans taken. Plus, they favor giving convicted offenders the right to vote. As you have probably deduced, Death of the Elephant by Gil Grossi recounts the seemingly mighty fall of the Republican Party even in states where it seemed the monopoly.

I loved the introduction bit. The author gives some background information about himself and his years of experience as a law professor, and an associate judge, among others. Such material helps justify that the book is written with prowess and rich with knowledge from various experiences.

I despised the usage of the colors blue and red without explanations. Democrats use blue, while Republicans use red as their designated colors. Not everyone knows such information, so some people would be bewildered trying to understand the contents. In addition, others would have to seek more information from the internet, which is time wastage. Accordingly, the author should include such details during the introductory part.

Additionally, there were terms like HB1 and information native to America I did not comprehend. As a consequence, I rate the work 3 out of 4 stars. With that noted, nonetheless, there were powerful and thought-provoking points to consider. First, did the Democrats win the current presidential seat because of giving voters null promises? Also, how much are the Americans willing to stretch their liberal-mindedness? I detected only two grammatical errors; therefore, the book is well edited. I recommend Death of the Elephant to anyone interested in American politics, more so about the Democrats and Republicans.

Death of the Elephant
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”