Review of Boil the Frog

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anselm Freeman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anselm-freeman.html
Latest Review: Onward, At Last by Kevin Howard
2022 Reading Goal: 72
2022 Goal Completion: 29%

Review of Boil the Frog

Post by Anselm Freeman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boil the Frog" by Dennis McVicker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I know that 30.7% of adults (about 1 in 3 adults) are overweight, and 42.4% (more than 2 in 5 adults) have obesity. Even though most of these people desire to shed a lot of weight, they are often stuck with diets, laziness, and a society that places a lot of pressure on them.

Dennis McVicker's Boil the Frog helps to give them hope through a gradual but sure way out. The author writes about his experiences as an overweight naval officer and proves that losing weight the right way (not the unhealthy way) involves a lot of mental (mindset) work and dedication to simple actions. The author gives insight into his life before discovering how to lose weight. He was, in fact, a terrible person. He had to boil the frog very gradually. I love his advice about moving, no matter how slowly. ‘Crawl, drag yourself, walk, run, slow down, but don't stop moving’, he says. He also tells the overweight person to be accountable to themselves and others for their journey back to a healthy lifestyle.

The way he talks about being overweight is practical, simple, and empathetic. I particularly love his statement: 'Weight loss is a math problem, nothing more.' This is because I have always believed in the simplicity of working out. I once told a friend that by repeating a few easy workout routines, I could acquire a distinct look without ever going to the gym. I was made fun of and told that surgery was the only way to accomplish such things.

Since then, I have kept my conviction to myself, but McVicker has just provided me with evidence to support it. He lost weight without following a strict workout regimen. He simply ensured he was burning more calories than he was taking in and did simple things like walking. Simple mathematics! However, he did admit that it took a lot of discipline to monitor this progress.

The author makes it clear from the outset that he uses swear words, but he eventually uses very few in the book—a remarkable act of being considerate on his part. I appreciate that the author broke down his exercise routine and provided a step-by-step roadmap for navigating the fitness journey. I also appreciate his emphasis on safety while deciding whether to run or walk a particular route. This safety is extended to what to do while running. However, the tiny print in the book made it difficult to read. I had to keep zooming in and out of my screen, which was quite uncomfortable. It made the 76-page book look uninteresting and just hard to keep up with.

I also did not find his view about Africa appealing. I felt more like it was a write-off. Understandably, no one wants to visit Antarctica, but Africa is a place to be. I reckon that the author has made some wild assumptions and should have conducted some research before putting down anything about Africa that might be offensive to Africans. I recommend that he check the best time of the year to visit, and he should spend a week (at the very least). Besides these, I can resonate with everything the author points out, and the book is a good piece of motivation for anyone stuck in life. It even motivates me, and I don't have a weight problem.

The book was edited professionally because I found only a few errors in it. I recommend this book for anyone going through problems regarding weight or being consistent with a goal. They will learn a great deal from it. I give it 4 out of 4 stars because it explains how to solve a problem that many people find tedious. It is also not unnecessarily long, and it is quite relatable.

Boil the Frog
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Judy_Akha
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy-akha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Judy_Akha »

The title of the book sounds original, and the cover is simple and eye-catching. I would love to read this book. Thanks for you nice review.
Ronky279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronky279.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Ronky279 »

This is a nice review. I am definitely reading this book soonest. Congrats on the publication. Amazing.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

Losing weight has to be the most personal and tasking journeys one can go through. Great review.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders by Virginia Hoyt

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

The title of the book is unique and that is the major thing that drew my attention to the review. From the captivating review, I perceive that the book will be highly interesting. Great review.
diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Shadows of Pecan Hollow
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Dirtbags and Dead Bodies by Dr. Jeffrey Snider
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2022 Reading Goal: 50
2022 Goal Completion: 72%

Post by diana lowery »

I love the title, and I love that the book is only 76 pages. I am in need of some motivation to keep moving. Thanks for the review.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
2022 Reading Goal: 300
2022 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Eze Michael »

This book talks about things that can help the stable wellbeing of an individual. The author compiled this book based on his experience, and I'd love to learn. Thanks for your honest review.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: The Three Card Trick by Charles Townsend

Post by Adaeze Joan »

I must say, this book has an interesting as well as funny title. Nowadays, a lot of people are overweight and do all sort of things just to loose a bit of weight. In this book, the author shared with readers the gradual steps he took in his journey to loose weight. Nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”