Review of Know What Cops Know

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review of Know What Cops Know

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Know What Cops Know" by Chief William Palmini and Tanya Chalupa.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The following is a book everyone should have. Know What Cops Know: A Crime Prevention Guide by Chief William Palmini, Jr. and Tanya Chalupa is a guide filled with safety advice from a well-seasoned police officer with fifty years of experience fighting crime. The book contains step-by-step guidelines for safety from a police officer's perspective. The book begins with various 'Cop Quotes.' In each chapter, Chief Palmini gives the nature of the crime, how to avoid becoming a victim, and what to do if you become a victim.

The book contains seven parts, each focusing on a group of crimes. Part I covers crimes that can happen in your homes, like burglary, theft, rape, domestic violence, etc. Chief Palmini gives detailed instructions on how to avoid being a victim of these crimes. For example, installing good locks on doors and windows and not opening the door until you know who is there. If you become a victim, he describes the steps you need to take afterward, and he ends each chapter with a 'Cop Tip.' Part II focuses on date rape, carjacking, purse snatching, and other crimes that can happen when you are away from your home. Chief Palmini follows the same outline in Parts III-VII as in Part I. The book highlights valuable information everyone needs to know to stay safe, whether at home or away.

Chief Palmini does an outstanding job of covering multiple crime scenarios, some of which we never consider. Space will not allow a thorough overview of all the topics in this book, but it should be in every household. Cops instinctively know what to watch for so everyone can take something away to apply to your family's safety and your own.

I was impressed with the detail in this book. I don't believe Chief Palmini left any stone unturned. For instance, Part 5 is about the crimes children may face, such as child abuse, child safety on the internet, and kidnapping, to name a few. Part 6 is dedicated to senior citizens and includes cybercriminals, telephone scams, and even the internet 'Love' scam. Palmini gives the top ten prevention tips for seniors. There are instructions for safety for disabled persons and emergency preparedness as well.

This book can be a valuable asset to anyone's library. There is quite a bit of repetition in the book because many instructions on avoiding and reporting crimes are the same. I didn't consider that a flaw. My only complaint is the number of errors I encountered which sometimes interfered with my reading flow. The copy I had for review was the PDF version, so I hope other versions have less. However, I can only base my assumption on the copy I read, and the PDF version does not appear professionally edited.

Because of the detailed instructions regarding preventing and reporting crimes, the cop tips and quotes, and the excellent overview of safety tips, I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because of the errors I found. This book would be an easy four stars with a round of professional editing.

There is something for everyone in Know What Cops Know; therefore, I recommend it to those with families, those who live alone, senior citizens and disabled persons, and anyone with the care of children.

Know What Cops Know
View: on Bookshelves
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Yasmine M
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

How interesting and intriguing! Everyone should have this book. I like that this crime prevention guide is from a cop's perspective. Thank you for your review.
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

Your summary of this review is captivating, I have not read the book but I will give it a try. What a wonderful work. Keep it up.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for a great review. This sounds like a very important book to read for everyone, particularly as it covers so many areas. A few of my friends children have been the subject of crimes recently and I would be recommending it to them and others.
Angela Lammott
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-lammott.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Angela Lammott »

I find this a topic worth reading about. Thank you for your review. I’m glad this man used his expertise to help others protect themselves and their loved ones. I’m going to place it on my shelf.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”