Review of Fortunate Turn of Events

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michelle Fred
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Cant See Around Corners by Josie Townsend
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 33%

Review of Fortunate Turn of Events

Post by Michelle Fred »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fortunate Turn of Events" by Manny Fulsom.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fortunate Turn of Events by Manny Fulsom is a follow-up to his previous book, Stay Alive. It details his recovery from a near-death experience, his faith journey, life philosophy, and views on several subjects.

The book is short and builds upon the foundation laid by Stay Alive, so reading it as a standalone book is a hollow experience. The beginning of the book is a little too abrupt, and some subjects are not as fleshed out as they should be. For example, the author referenced his accident many times, but I never quite understood what caused it. I think it's best to read the first book before delving into this one. It will provide a much-needed context and a deeper understanding of the author's life and personality.

Manny's openness and the simplicity of his writing style are some of the book's greatest charms. He lays his life bare and has no qualms about discussing unsavory topics. He is candid about his addiction to salacious adult entertainment and some unpleasant details about his mother. But, most of all, I like how open he is about his love and belief in God. Some things he said about his mother made me uncomfortable, but I suppose it's because of my idiosyncrasies. Several aspects of the book would resonate with readers from turbulent backgrounds and those still trying to find their feet in life and faith.

I do wish the author had provided a sort of recap of the previous book to ease the reader into this one, considering how related they are. I found the beginning of the book a little too abrupt, and it took me a while to really get into it and grasp the gist of the author's writing.

Conclusively, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. It was a short, simple book that does a good job of describing the author's growth. The quibbles I mentioned and the errors I found informed my rating.

Manny is a Christian, and his writing is rife with talks about God, religion, and his faith journey. I'm a person of faith as well, so I enjoyed the biblical quotes and verses. Still, I understand that some readers might not appreciate that. You might want to pick up another book if such things bother you. The book reads like a memoir; hence, I believe it will appeal to fans of memoirs and Christian stories.

Fortunate Turn of Events
View: on Bookshelves
Last edited by tortle0o0 on 11 Sep 2022, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Editing was made to this book to improve the font issue previously described.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Bri Denzel »

Fans of memoirs and Christian stories will most definitely enjoy this book. It's obviously tailored to suit their needs. I enjoyed reading the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”