Review of Be Successful: In a System not Designed for You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JonesLeeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonesleeh.html
Latest Review: The Negotiator’s Cross by Kenneth Dekleva

Review of Be Successful: In a System not Designed for You

Post by JonesLeeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Be Successful: In a System not Designed for You" by Ronald Statum.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ronald Statum says in his introduction, “To further amplify that disparity, a Fortune 500 report (see reference) noted that 73% of the senior executives, men and women, were white, and the rest were 21% Asian, 3% Latino/a, 2% Black, 0.6% two or more races.” So many authors are composing racial discrimination-related books. The aspect of race seems to be escalating in modern America, and it is no difference in corporate jobs and businesses.

We have a story of a black man, Kenneth, who, through experiences and hardships, rose in the levels of his career. The narrator discusses how our attitude is a massive contributor to our success. In addition, he notifies us how essential sponsors and mentors are in the success journey. These are the people who advise on the subsequent steps and ways on how to get promotions.

Sometimes, in a system not designed for you, you have to work twice as hard and smart to get to the next level. There were lessons on how to manage our behaviors because whether we like it or not, people will inevitably have an assumption about us when we are around them. Kenneth’s ascension to the top of his game came with ups and downs. Read more in Be Successful: In a System not Designed for You by Ronald Statum.

I enjoyed the specific race of the people the author mentioned. Whether a person was black or any other race, he would indicate. This specificity enabled me to see the disparity in the treatment of marginalized groups or minorities. It is evident that racial prejudice is embedded in the heart of America.

I enjoyed the dialogues between the characters. They felt as though they were one-on-one, and the author did not filter the use of some street slang. Hence, the conversations felt genuine and lively. While some hit a nerve because of their intensity, the listeners needed to hear them.

Another thing I cherished was the diversity of the book. At one time, the narrator and his wife went on vacation in Freeport. He narrates the details and enjoyment of the stay. Plus, the author balanced success tips, family dynamics, and multiple experiences.

The book is well edited because they are just several errors. I detected nothing to loathe. I award the work 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone looking for lessons and ingenious ideas on how to rise to the top of their profession.

Be Successful: In a System not Designed for You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”