Review of The Six Habits of Highly Effective Sales Engineers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anselm Freeman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anselm-freeman.html
Latest Review: Onward, At Last by Kevin Howard
2022 Reading Goal: 72
2022 Goal Completion: 29%

Review of The Six Habits of Highly Effective Sales Engineers

Post by Anselm Freeman »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Six Habits of Highly Effective Sales Engineers" by Chris White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Technical sales engineers should read Chris White's book, The Six Habits of Highly Effective Sales Engineers. It detailed six habits, which I called The Six Ps of a Sale Engineer. These habits are what a sale engineer must have to be better at what they do while they rake in sales with their sales partner. Partner, Probe, Prepare, Practice, Perform, and Perfect are these habits. The author's desire to assist those in this profession—many of whom lack sales training—led to the creation of this book. So they find it difficult to see themselves as sales professionals. He wrote this book to give the newbies a professional lift from his experiences and the different demo presentations he has given and observed.

The author first had to reorganise the mindset of the sales engineers (SEs) from a typical problem-solving background to a convincing mindset. This means that they are no longer solving problems for their prospects; they are instead convincing them that the product they offer is the ideal solution to their problem. Investing in it will help them grow their business. This process is what the author called Technical Win. This book also answers the big question, 'How do we achieve the Technical Win?'

There are several things I like about the author's delivery. Chris' use of 'we' and 'our' makes the reader feel included (we are all in this together) and is laudable. He carefully highlighted the challenges SEs might encounter in achieving their goals and the errors they might make, which could jeopardise their success. In my opinion, this approach will help a newbie identify these obstacles and mistakes and be ready to get a solution to them.

It could be difficult for a SE to know when to sell to a client or sell with them. Therefore, the author provided how to identify these two scenarios; if you can identify these scenarios, your game as a SE will improve. Reading all these convinced me that the author is a pro in this game, and this book is just suitable for SEs. The author also included a link to download a technical discovery worksheet.

Chris is not just a pro; he knows how to teach. He sequentially lays out his objectives, which he pursues with simple delivery, sandwiched with relatable stories to lighten the serious-looking sections. The author also included an Action Plan and Take-away Section at the end of each chapter, where readers could get a summary of the chapter and specific steps to take to ensure career growth. Even as a total novice in this career, I learned a great deal. This book is a great resource.

In Chapter 4, Chris highlighted how to distinguish and create demo content and demo scripts. The author also lists things to consider when developing demo content and scripts. He also introduced us to the Rule of Capital T. This rule is vital to demo preparation. What does this rule say? Read this book to find out. The highlight is the 20 unique techniques the author explains; you don't want to miss them.

I like the story Chris used to paint how important practising is. It is so engaging and relatable. He highlighted ten things to do when things go wrong during a demo presentation. This book promises to take you from good SE to great SE. It sure took me from a novice to someone considering this career path. I like the matrix method, also known as the Four Ds, of approaching questions during a demo. It is all a SE needs to ace the question and answer session of the demo presentation. It is apt and straightforward.

There is no better way to learn a new career or get better at your chosen career than to learn from someone who has learned it the hard way. It will drastically shorten the learning curve and make you a pro in no time. With the quality of the information I learned from this book, I highly recommend you get this book. It is the exact handbook you need to succeed as a SE. It is purely based on his experiences as a SE and what he learned from fellow experts in the field.

The book is perfectly formatted with a good font size. However, I found more than ten errors in the book. As much as I would have loved to rate this book four stars, I will only give it 3 out of 4 because of these errors. It needs another round of editing and proofreading. I recommend this book to anyone in technical sales, sales engineers, and all those who depend on sales engineers to close business or manage sales teams that include sales engineers.

The Six Habits of Highly Effective Sales Engineers
View: on Bookshelves
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Shillah Andeso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
2022 Reading Goal: 200
2022 Goal Completion: 22%

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I haven't heard of sales engineers yet. I can confidently say that engineering is not on the list of things I would love to learn. The author, however, seems to be providing engineers with a new world and a new source of incredible information. With his good teaching skills, as you have mentioned, he will impact good skills into those who dare to read this book. I will give this a pass. Thanks for the nice review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Pilot Who Knows the Waters by N.L. Holmes

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I am not a sales engineer nor have an interest in that field but I believe those in the engineering sales section will find this an interesting read. Weldon
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

I was not even aware the term sales engineer existed. Great review.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Mozi Ken »

If I were an engineer, I would have found this book helpful. However, no knowledge is a waste, so I'll read it if I get the chance. I hope that there are no confusing technical terms in it. Good review.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders by Virginia Hoyt

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

I learn alot from this review but this book will be more helpful to engineers. I must commend your creative writing. Keep it up.
ometanoghenetejiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ometanoghenetejiri.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by ometanoghenetejiri »

This seems like a book for me. I would love to go into technical sales later on. I think this book contains a lot of useful contents for me. I would add it to my shelf. Thank you for this insightful review.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Bri Denzel »

For people aspiring to be highly effective sales engineers, this is the book for you. Chris white is your go-to guy.
Ronky279
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronky279.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Ronky279 »

This is a nice review. I am definitely reading this book soonest. Congrats on the publication. Amazing.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
2022 Reading Goal: 300
2022 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Eze Michael »

It is true that there are certain things one must do to progress in a career field. This book gives details of the specific things that engineers must do, and I hope that the points within this book will be valuable to non-engineers. Thanks for your honest review.
smoothcrowd
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smoothcrowd.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by smoothcrowd »

Although I am not a sales engineer, I would still love to give this book. The book seems to be insightful and very informative. Thanks and great job on the review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Faiso
Currently Reading: A Dream for Peace
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faiso.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Faiso »

This is the first I come across the term "sales engineer" but I guess we are learning every day. This content was designed for engineers and I'm sure it will provide great value to the people in that profession. Good review.
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Precious Oba »

This is a wonderful review. I love books that provide helpful step-by-step processes on how to accomplish things and this is no exception. Kudos to the author.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”