Review of The Biblical Clock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review of The Biblical Clock

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon is a fascinating account of the attempts to calculate the age of the universe. The book is part of a series, and while I have not read the books preceding this one, I could still follow without any problems.

It contains seven chapters, and the book's first part examines scientific and religious accounts, specifically from Christianity and Judaism, about how old the universe might be. Part two looks at the endings, and part three looks beyond the calculations and timelines. The authors have also examined global perspectives, such as those from China and other parts of the world that have attempted to calculate the universe's age. There is also a helpful reading guide at the beginning of the book to aid readers in navigating it.

Really and honestly, I found the various sources employed in this book valuable as those give a holistic picture of what might be more reliable in determining the age of the universe. It provides readers options to think about what makes more sense to them. When I saw in the first few pages that scientific and religious aspects would be used in these determinations, I was a little apprehensive because, as a Christian, I know biblical and scientific accounts of various elements are usually at loggerheads.

I was pleased to see how the author married the two, comparing scriptures, scientific findings, calculations by world-renowned scientists, and so on. I also liked that, perhaps what kept me engaged to read on, the authors have acknowledged and mentioned clearly that while the bible describes events, it is relatively silent on timing. Furthermore, there were other fascinating aspects, such as the author's calculations in chapter four and his determinations of God's years and human years and creation days. I also learned something new called Young Earth Creationism, which I will not explain in this review lest I give away spoilers. There are so many other aspects that I found fascinating about this book. Again, I will not mention them for fear of giving away spoilers. However, I appreciated this book's figures, images and tables, making reading and understanding much more digestible.

There is absolutely nothing I disliked about this book. Firstly, apart from the great content and that readers will learn something from this book, the author's writing style is also accessible and engaging, and the book is professionally edited. I rate this book four out of four stars for all the above reasons. I recommend it to anyone interested in the universe's history or at least in understanding its approximate genesis and who is open enough to weigh scientific and religious accounts to make up their minds about what they believe.

The Biblical Clock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”