Review of Are We the United States of America?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of Are We the United States of America?

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Are We the United States of America?" by John Geyman, M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you were drawn to this title, chances are you have questioned the unity of the U.S. in recent years. Are We the United States of America? outlines areas contributing to the country’s current disunity.

Reading this 200-page book by John Geyman, M.D., was like taking a crash course in U.S. civics history. The breadth of content and references complemented the author’s background as a family physician in rural practice, teaching, and administration. The sources were well documented, allowing the reader to further research a topic or issue of interest.

The areas of healthcare, voting rights, and privatization of public programs were mentioned often in the discussion. Understandably, Geyman gave a convincing argument supporting quality health care as an inalienable right and highlighting the benefits to the overall population when each person has access to their specific medical needs. Dissemination of disinformation was another pervasive issue addressed.

At first glance, the problematic domains seemed distinct, but as layers were uncovered, the underlying commonality frequently was wealth disparity. The oft-quoted biblical verse, “the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil,” was seemingly validated in the analysis of this book.

I found the issues of income inequity and tax compliance to be concerning. The author quoted a source revealing that “CEOs of the largest U.S. corporations made 254 times more than their median employees in 2021.” But that was not the most troublesome part. The repeated and quantified references to wealthy corporations and individuals who exploit tax loopholes and pay no federal taxes were staggering. Diagrams and examples described both the inequity in funding and the unregulated spending of federal government resources. This disparity is not new, but it was sobering to trace how the widening wealth gap negatively affects education, health care, taxes, and even voting rights.

I appreciated the clear communication structure of the text. Each chapter began with a list of points that would be covered and ended with a lead-in to the next chapter’s discussion and a list of the sources used. The book included many quotes from other references, and the author seamlessly integrated them, providing an impressive continuity of flow.

However, the text repeated the same examples throughout the read to highlight issues. I would have preferred a wider variety of illustrations. Also, at the time of this review, the book’s cover slightly missed the mark of unity by excluding two of the fifty states.

The two aspects mentioned in the previous paragraph did not affect my reading enjoyment; therefore, I rate Are We the United States of America? 4 out of 4 stars. The analysis, quotes, and diagrams create an informative read. One does not need to be well versed in government or politics to understand the scenarios covered. I recommend this book to readers interested in learning more about areas contributing to the disunity in the United States and suggestions to improve them. The analysis is critical of many aspects of the current Republican party, so those opposed to this position may want to skip this read.

Are We the United States of America?
View: on Bookshelves
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

First of I like that every aspect of the United states of America was touched In this book from healthcare to voting rights. Great review
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

Very insightful and great review, as usual! It is always interesting to get a view of what is happening behind the scenes rather than just making assumptions. The US has so much influence on world politics that one has to keep abreast of what is happening there.
lebone moloi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lebone moloi »

This book is a literal masterpiece, it highlights the history and events of America as well as the nature and ambitious pride of America back in the day and now.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

As a fan of history, I think this book is a must-read. The history of the US is just impressive.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am not an American, so I do not think I will appreciate this book much. I may read a free copy, though, because the USA is still a powerful nation that significantly affects the rest of the world. Besides, half of my family are naturalized Americans.

"The author quoted a source revealing that 'CEOs of the largest U.S. corporations made 254 times more than their median employees in 2021.'" I think this scenario is replicated in my country.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Covenant M Olusegun wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 12:54 First of I like that every aspect of the United states of America was touched In this book from healthcare to voting rights. Great review
The book did address many different areas. I appreciated that the author focused on issues that may not be highlighted as often. Thank you for your visit and your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Miriam Molina wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 05:49 I am not an American, so I do not think I will appreciate this book much. I may read a free copy, though, because the USA is still a powerful nation that significantly affects the rest of the world. Besides, half of my family are naturalized Americans.

"The author quoted a source revealing that 'CEOs of the largest U.S. corporations made 254 times more than their median employees in 2021.'" I think this scenario is replicated in my country.
Sadly, I think our two countries aren't the only ones who can claim this staggering statistic. This book gave interesting insight on pitfalls for a democracy to avoid.

Thank you for your comment, Miriam. It's good to see you.
Rosa Parks
Chris Walter Mason
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-walter-mason.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Chris Walter Mason »

The book sounds interesting and captivating. I love how u narrated your review. I will try to read the book for knowledge. What a great review.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Fareed Regal wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 10:14 Very insightful and great review, as usual! It is always interesting to get a view of what is happening behind the scenes rather than just making assumptions. The US has so much influence on world politics that one has to keep abreast of what is happening there.
Fareed, it is so good to see you! :greetings-waveyellow:

Indeed the US has a lot of influence on world politics, and being in the spotlight can also give worldwide visibility to our shortcomings. This book validated some of my frustrations and gave evidence to support my suspicions. It also introduced new areas that I intend to research.

Thank you for stopping by for a visit. As always, I appreciate your comment.
Rosa Parks
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

This work of nonfiction delves into a few things concerning the united states. I'd love to read this book so as to gain more knowledge. From this book, I believe that there isn't compltet unity in the U.S. Thanks for your honest review.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

lebone moloi wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 18:19 This book is a literal masterpiece, it highlights the history and events of America as well as the nature and ambitious pride of America back in the day and now.
The author presents many cases that show how the drive to be "profitable" usually profits only a few. There are many lessons that can be learned from this glimpse of US history.

Thank you for your visit.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Shadreck Rogers wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 05:17 As a fan of history, I think this book is a must-read. The history of the US is just impressive.
I have never been much of a history fan, but I do find it interesting to see how compromises and changes, even with the best intentions, can have long-term consequences.

I hope you have the opportunity to read this book. Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
Hager Salem
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 327
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hager-salem.html
Latest Review: One Foot Out of the Box by Vanessa Kristovich

Post by Hager Salem »

I'm interested in that book and would like to have a closer look, Although I'm not that into history or politics.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Godswill Nwaka wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 08:08 The book sounds interesting and captivating. I love how u narrated your review. I will try to read the book for knowledge. What a great review.
I learned a lot reading this book. And the news topics I see now mean much more to me. I think you will find this read informative.
Thank you for your kind comment.
Rosa Parks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”