Review of Beverly Hills Diary- Close Encounters with the Stars

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Beverly Hills Diary- Close Encounters with the Stars

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beverly Hills Diary- Close Encounters with the Stars" by Luis Rios.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine life without having to wake up every day to the alarm sound, dress up, and speed to not miss the bus. Being stocked in the daily hustle and bustle of city life all for a job you don't have fun doing.

Imagine a life where you are being paid to have fun, meeting world-class movie stars, music artists, and professionals—seeing world-renowned people that most people will only see on their screens. Having conversations with them, partying with them, and sometimes giving them advice. This is the story told by Luis Rois in his book, Beverly Hills Diary- Close Encounters with the Stars.

In this book, the author recounts his experience in 1970 while working as a limousine chauffeur at the Beverly Hills Hotel. He kept a diary of his daily encounters with people, their conversations, and the places they visited. The author of this 198-page book sweetly writes out the content of his diary and shows images of the wonderful people he met during his time as a young man who was being paid for having the time of his life.

I enjoyed how the author told the story of his time driving in and out of the Beverly Hills Hotel, having the privilege of seeing different stars. Although I haven't heard about most of the people the author wrote about, I know a few, like Steve Harvey, Bill Cosby, Elvis Presley, and others. I didn't get bored reading through this book. In each chapter, the author did an excellent job of not just writing about his encounters with these stars but also a little about their personal lives, significant wins in their careers, various projects they did, and what they shared on their short trip. Your personality is not defined by who you are on the screen but by who you are behind the screen and the crowd's cheers. The author of this book made me understand this better. This is a lesson to learn that you have an impact on people you meet.

The author had a great time, and I can only imagine how happy he would be when called from work to perform his duties. From getting free tickets to watch the Super Bowl game to listening to live recordings of world artists, these and many more are freebies that come with driving celebrities. I would love to have this kind of experience too. At first, I thought this was the only thing the author did throughout his entire life. Reading further, I discovered that he only did this as a part-time job to finance himself through college. No wonder friends of his children, who didn't know this part of his story, didn't take him seriously when he told them he had met Professor Dumbledore from Harry Potter in person. I can only imagine if he enjoyed himself in his other careers as much as he did as a limousine chauffeur.

There was nothing I disliked about the book. The stories were short, interestingly written, and even had pictorial representations of some of the people mentioned in the book.

However, I found a lot of errors in this book, which I believe should not be considered the plot of this book, but this didn't stop me from enjoying the book. I would recommend that the author give this book to a professional editor to proofread it again and make any necessary corrections. For this reason, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

I find this book an exciting read and recommend it to adults who know about the happenings of the entertainment world in the early 1960s and 1970s. Also, young adults( not children) who enjoy reading history and interesting books will have a great time reading this book.

Beverly Hills Diary- Close Encounters with the Stars
View: on Bookshelves
Happy-Angel92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Happy-Angel92 »

The life of movie stars seem to be fun and no hassle. This is a book i would love to read
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

From imagining, I don't think I'll like such a life but I hope he did. Meeting superstars can be seen as a big deal to many, but not to me. This book looks nice, especially with how you've described it. Nice review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

It sounds like the author of this book only had positive comments about the people he drove around. I would enjoy reading something like this rather than a "tell all" expose on the bad things celebrities did.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

This seems like an exciting book, I love stories set in the '70s. Great review :)
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

This kind of life will be interesting. Being paid to have fun must be the kind of life many will love to have. I love your review.
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

The author seems like he had a great life in the 1990s. Your review drew me to the story. I hope the author works on the negative aspect of this book.
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

The many experiences of the author are lessons one should take really seriously. Great review.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

I would also love to meet stars and celebrities in the near future. A wonderful review you have here. Well done
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Kiki7+
Favorite Book: Wild World
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiki7.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Kiki7+ »

I will like to read this book because the author wrote alot about celebrities and their lifestyle behind the scene. I think it would be great if I get to know about those celebrities mentioned and I know it will be fun reading this book.
Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olomofe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Olomofe »

The plot of this book sounds engaging. And I also envy his working experience
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

The author seems to be living many lives and enjoying them all. Each story seems to be a new experience and I'd love to be part of these experiences by reading this book. Thanks for the interesting review.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This is a great review. I love that you enjoyed your moment peeping into the life of a chauffeur. His account of his experiences with celebrities is worth reading and learning from.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Christabel Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-benson.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Christabel Benson »

Wow this book looks interesting...i would love to read it and ur review is great
Okoye Chinonso+
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

This book seems like an interesting read. I love how, unlike some people who would try to expose celebrities for clout, the author spoke about the positive side of them. Thanks for the great review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”