Review of Coronavirian memories

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Review of Coronavirian memories

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Coronavirian memories" by Michel valentin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Coronavirian Memories soared beyond my expectations. Far from the coronavirus-focused discussions I anticipated, Michel Valentin confronted me with a compendium of far-reaching knowledge. Nothing could have prepared me for the musings on nature and life that this book, veiled by a simple title, elicited in me. However, my astonishment evaporated eventually; if you have the privilege of gliding through the pages of this book, you cannot but remain awestruck by the enigma of viruses.

Michel resurrected the historical accounts of previous pandemics. The horrific descriptions of the stench of death facilitated by the Athenian plague and the Black Death left my mouth agape for several moments. Covid-19 paled in comparison to some of these unrivaled plagues. Tears escaped my eyes in response to my broken heart when I learned of the fatal punishment exerted by the despairing mob on the poor souls they ignorantly accused of being the perpetrators of the plagues. Yet, as Michel pointed out, we refused to learn from history, again and again. Undoubtedly, we'll continue to pay the price.

However, do viruses deserve our hatred? This book inspired an incredible admiration of viruses within me. Arguably, as Michel reflected, these simplest of beings, existing at the boundary of life and non-life, might have been the necessary facilitators of human evolution. Michel expressed the hypothesis of recent research that links some elements of human consciousness to an ancient viral DNA transmission. The study also discovered that viral invasions account for 40–80 percent of the human genome.

Within the pages of this book, Michel has created an outstanding classic. I adore the book for confronting the reader with thought-provoking questions from which there is no escape. Are we not the real viruses of nature? Has our capitalist-induced encroachment into the wild not dispossessed these viruses of their natural habitats? Does this close brush with death not inspire an appreciation of the things that matter in life? Is nature fighting back to repair our damage? I’ll leave you to discover a lot more of these should you attempt to encounter this gadfly of human indifference to nature.

I appreciated the author's beautifully executed attempt to analyze the subject from the root. The exploration of the origins and the genetic codes of biological existence, together with the philosophical analysis of various propositions, enlightens the mind with invaluable information. The contributions from different academics added gloss to an already elegant masterpiece and lent more credence to the author’s arguments.

Interestingly, some elements I might have disliked while reading ended up being appreciated in the end. Many long sentences diminished comprehension, but these were indispensable as the author sometimes had a lot of information to squeeze into a sentence. Moreover, some topics were very technical. Again, they have to be necessarily technical, lest the substance be diluted. The question is whether you can persevere to attain the contemplative delights provoked by this book.

I rate this book four out of four. Irrespective of any other factor, the enlightenment that this book infuses deserves nothing less. I recommend this book to natural scientists and philosophers. With due inspiration from this book, political leaders and CEOs of companies can drive an enormous positive change. Till I encountered this book, I had never experienced a more compelling passion for nature.

Coronavirian memories
View: on Bookshelves
Mr Excellence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-excellence.html
Latest Review: Four Critical Days by Edward Vogler

Post by Mr Excellence »

The tittle reminds me of the Corona virus outbreak few years ago. But according to your review, is far more than than and I salute Michel for that.
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

Well, this book is complex in a nice way. So we are to fear and appreciate viruses? Interesting! I would like to read this book. Nice review
UcheNduka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenduka.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by UcheNduka »

Such an insightful and thought provoking book will definitely leave the reader wanting more.
I love the part where the reader is elicited to ask if we're actually the virus.
Thanks for the beautiful review.
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

Within the pages of this book, Michel has created an outstanding classic. I adore the book for confronting the reader with thought-provoking questions from which there is no escape. Great review.
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

Nothing would be more welcome to readers than an independent review of the so-called COVID-19 (84) pandemic as most media is favouring fake news and stamping out the truth in favour of pharmaceuticals that have reproducing lethal . concoctions to bewitch the unsuspecting public, talk of a witch's brew mentioned in some fairy tales.
If anything is more important than knowledge of the Creator, he wouldn't have said " My people die from lack of knowledge....because they did not choose to love the truth.
If it contains the truth and nothing but, then it's worth a read.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83542
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1112%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

This book brought back all the memories we all live with it was well written and reviewed
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

This book looks interesting from the review above. And the storyline is my kind of story. Adding it to my shelf for future reading ASAP.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

This book looks interesting from the review above. And the storyline is my kind of story. Adding it to my shelf for future reading ASAP.
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

I agree with the part about not learning from history and I think this is largely because a higher percentage of us don't live life with that level of awareness. This is an impressive review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”