Review of I am a hacker! Chronicle of the Lost Generatio

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of I am a hacker! Chronicle of the Lost Generatio

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I am a hacker! Chronicle of the Lost Generatio" by Dmitry Artimovich.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whenever we watch Hollywood movies featuring hackers, they glamorize and make hacking look easy with a few strokes of the keyboard. However, the reality is much different. Dmitry Artimovich is a grey-hat hacker. I am a Hacker! Chronicle of the Lost Generation tells the real-life story of a hacker from the author's perspective.

Dimitry Artimovich told his story starting from his childhood days when he grew up in a family of teachers with certain expectations from him. He would create his path based on his interests in computers. This path would not be a linear one. A run-in with the authorities gave him double-edged publicity. What other tribulations lie ahead on his journey to creating the life he wants? Would the squeeze be worth the juice?

A notable distinction of this book was in the word usage. Initially, it was easy to grasp. But as I progressed, strange new words popped up, adding a bit of confusion. Technical terms related to computers might break the immersion of a layman while tech geeks would find it engaging. However, the author provided footnotes at the end for unclear words while reading.

The addition of pictures showed a sense of foreshadowing. The pictures were clear-cut and added a humane feel to the storytelling. Seeing pictures switch from landscapes to pictures of websites in Russian could be jarring. One thing was for sure; the author stayed true to his story.

Books are a gateway to learning from other people's experiences. My biggest takeaway was from his travels. His description of places he visited, like Egypt, China, Thailand, e.t.c, and the personal experience he got served as lessons. His take on Egypt agreed with various stories I had heard.

The author gave us a glimpse of the Russian judiciary system and his life after passing through it. Although his motives were warped, I couldn't help but admire his grit and ingenuity in making a living for himself.

I am a Hacker! Chronicle of the Lost Generation was an enlightening read. This book helped to accentuate the difference between reality and the movies. The editing was okay, with a few errors that didn't detract from the narration. There was no serious negative aspect; the author later addressed everything that would have presented a challenge. Therefore, I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to lovers of computer-themed stories for they will understand it more. This book would also interest anyone fascinated with grey-hat hacking.

I am a hacker! Chronicle of the Lost Generatio
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Maureen Dare
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Maureen Dare »

Am a Hacker Chronicle of a Lost Generation
After going through this review,,I most agreed that hacking is not as easy as it's seems in movies
On my point of view, hacking requires, not just a knowledge in computer Science, but also physical awareness of your surroundings,
Never the less, I recommend this book to lovers of new age computer and those who want to know more about hacking in real .

Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

Before now I thought hacking was an easy task until I read this review,I admire the sincerity of the author to the insights he gave.Good work.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

Before now I thought hacking was an easy task until I read this review,I admire the sincerity of the author to the insights he gave.Good work.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

As a part time software engineer I really appreciate when a story strays away from the usual ten seconds of clacking keys followed by, "I'm in." Great review.
it is what it is ....

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”